WICD WiFi Connection Properties become inaccessable after a few security failures

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Resistor
Level 4
Level 4

WICD WiFi Connection Properties become inaccessable after a few security failures

Post by Resistor »

How can I reset or otherwise access the security properties when they become inaccessible?

This happened most recently when I visited friends and had to use their computer to access their AT&T internet service, as their password was not sufficient to log in from my own laptop.

I opened the security properties of WICD. Initially, some half dozen security options were displayed, so I started from the top, trying one after the other.

Some options failed, some had an additional field for input (I do not recall what was required), and some had 2 additional fields for input (again, I do not recall what was required).

The last thing I checked was the Information button from within the Properties of the WiFi connection, which suggested WPA...
Then, I was completely unable to open the properties of the WiFi connection.

I tried disabling WICD and using the default network manager, to no avail. I also tried re-enabling WICD, to no avail. A couple of reboots were also of no effect in my ability to open the properties of the WiFi connection.

I have had this happen before on other connections, but it was not such a big deal.

It is such a pleasure to get on the internet from my own laptop.
I had forgotten just how clumsy Windows could be. In this instance, it was Windows 7.

It was more of a big deal this time, as my credibility with the Linux operating system is now in question and could reduce my ability to persuade them to try Linux as an alternative to Windows.

So, the next time I visit, how can I regain access to the properties of their WiFi connection?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dell Inspiron 15-7567 Gaming Laptop i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. - Win 10 Inhibited. Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti. LM 19.3 Cinnamon x2
Asus VivoBook F512FA-AB34, 8 GB Ram, Kernel 5.3.0-45-generic, i3-8145U. No Win10.
Resistor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: WICD WiFi Connection Properties become inaccessable after a few security failures

Post by Resistor »

Is it not possible to re-gain access to the security properties when they become inaccessible?
Dell Inspiron 15-7567 Gaming Laptop i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. - Win 10 Inhibited. Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti. LM 19.3 Cinnamon x2
Asus VivoBook F512FA-AB34, 8 GB Ram, Kernel 5.3.0-45-generic, i3-8145U. No Win10.
richyrich

Re: WICD WiFi Connection Properties become inaccessable after a few security failures

Post by richyrich »

Sorry, I cannot help you when you have two different network managers trying to perform the same network tasks . . :?
Resistor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Resistor »

Sorry for the delay in returning. Too much stuff going on...

Thank you richyrich.

The default network manager does not seem to be active.

In the Boot-Up Manager Summary, networking - Manages your Internet connection, is not checked in the Activate column, on the left side. A right-click provides the option to Activate and Apply Now.

WICD is also listed and checked in the Activate column, on the left side in the Boot-Up Manager Summary. A right-click provides the option to De-Activate and Apply Now, as well as options to stop and start.

On the initial install of WICD, I think I somehow de-activated the default network manager on start up, perhaps with a script.
There is no such script in Start Up Applications and my recall is vague on how I de-activated the default network manager.

Other wifi properties are accessable.
But, not the ones with multiple failed attempts.

Return to “Networking”