Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Bao2
Level 1
Level 1

It is needed a list of compatible Wifi Adaptors

Post by Bao2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:24 pm

I have linuxmint 18.1 and one of the wifi usb adaptors works (but is an old one only supporting bands B and G) the other using band N (300 Mbps) doesn't work
and you have to compile yourself and even with that it hangs.

So I think it would be a good idea to include a list of the wifi adapters that work with each edition of linuxmint.
I would just buy the adaptor that is known to work and done, not need to try to solve issues.

Today I was looking for an adaptor with band N and I see one that says in the box "linux compatible" but instead buying it
I checked in internet and it doesn't work, you have to compile and such.

Then I thought perhaps ubuntu 17 comes with better support for the wifi adaptors. I tried ubuntu 17 and NONE OF MY ADAPTORS WORKS THERE.
So I am in fear that next version of linuxmint using ubuntu 17 will bring none of my wifi adaptors working and I without knowing which ones work
to try to buy it before next linuxmint version so I can have wifi.

In ubuntu forums there is a list but it is veeeeeery old, like you see there they talk about ubuntu 10 or so as the newer one.

Anyone knows of such a list, or perhaps make a pinned thread in this subforum titled: "WIFI ADAPTORS THAT WORK BY DEFAULT IN LINUXMINT"
and updating the list as one stops to work in some version.

So my question is: In linuxmint 18.1 what wifi adaptor to use that has band N and which one with band AC that works by default????

This one works in linuxmint 18?
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/deta ... r-T2U.html
seems not: viewtopic.php?t=232043

and it was the one I wanted to purchase to go to the glorious band N. So which one with band N works (I want one being 300 mbps, not the 150 mbps of the tp-link wn722n for example that seems to work as I can see in posts like this one: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=245758 (the guy was installing it manually when it is not needed, it works by default lol)
Last edited by Bao2 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bao2
Level 1
Level 1

Re: It is needed a list of compatible Wifi Adaptors

Post by Bao2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Well, I can start such list: (please feel free of posting here your card if it works, I will add it here and i will buy it too if it is 300 mbps lol)

WIFI ADAPTORS THAT WORK WITH LINUXMINT 18:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TP-LINK WN722N (150 Mbps)

WIFI ADAPTORS THAT DOESN'T WORK WITH LINUXMINT 18:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TP-LINK AC600 T2U (300 Mbps) (the box says linux compatible but is a lie, it is for very very old kernels)
TP-LINK AC600 T2UH (300 Mbps) (the box says linux compatible but is a lie, it is for very very old kernels)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:21 pm

A number of people have got those to work with Linux:

https://www.systutorials.com/qa/1940/ho ... r-on-linux

https://askubuntu.com/questions/499091/ ... -on-ubuntu

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... all/239897

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fmbp-VFl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L6xFmAch4Y

Apparently it's not the easiest install you'll ever do, but it can be done. More pages at:

https://www.google.com/search?q=AC600+T2U+linux

It used to be a big problem to fine hardware that would work in Linux, but that hasn't been the case for a long time.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Bao2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bao2 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:20 am

Hey thanks for the links.

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sbroccolo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Many will think I am crazy, but I have 3 Wifi adapters connected to my Lenovo Thinkcentre M78. I have 3 different Linux Oses and Window 7 Pro installed.
Each OS seems to have its favorite. I turn off "Automatically Connect" on all but the best for each system.
First, TP-Link tl-wn722n. Since I like to experiment with various Linux Oses I have found this one to work every time. It consistently connects at 72MBs. Kali Linux especially likes this one.

TP-Link tl-wn822n. Extremely fast and reliable(once you get it working)on Ubuntu based Linuxes, consistently connecting at 144MBs. However, it takes a little work to get it going, and each time you upgrade the kernel you will have to remake the driver.

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install git
git clone https://github.com/jeremyb31/rtl8192eu-linux-driver
cd rtl8192eu-linux-driver
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 8192eu
(the last four commands to be run after any kernel upgrade)

Belkin N750 Dual Band - This is my "Cadillac". incredibly fast on Windows especially at 5GHZ, but until a month ago, just wouldn't work on Linux. Not even sure which kernel upgrade it started to work with. I just noticed it one day on my Network Connections. The 2.4ghz connection is just ok, never as good as the TL-WN722N, the 5GHZ connection is inconsistent, can run from snail like slow to twice as fast as the TL-WN822N. I should probably spend some time troubleshooting but haven't.

Then I have a Panda PAU07 Dual Band. I bought it a while ago (before the Belkin started to work) because I really wanted to connect at 5GHZ on Linux and it was cheap, $20. Well, it behaves exactly like the Belkin. I only connect it after a kernel upgrade to see if I get different results.

So, along with the other suggestions, there's my 2 cents.
Last edited by JeremyB on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: code tags added

Bao2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bao2 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:08 pm

A interesting thread about the 5Ghz Wifi Adaptors (802.11ac) is this one:

viewtopic.php?t=234143

The router of my internet provider comes with 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz wifi. I am currently using the 2.4Ghz one
with an adaptor TP-LINK WN722N in my linux to connect and it works well but not optimally because
probably the around 30 wifi nets around me. For example using a wired ethernet to the router I can download
at 50Mbps (6 MB/s) but using the 2.4Ghz wifi I don't see it going faster than 16Mbps (2MB/s).

So I am using a wire just now going from my room to the router along my house corridor lol. It is ugly but damn
I have 6MB/s and not only the ugly 2MB/s of the 2.4Ghz wifi. And I am curious if I use the 5Ghz wifi of the router
if I can achieve better results because perhaps all my neighbours are using 2.4Ghz band. But as the above
post says: the 5Ghz thing is a problematic issue in linux at the moment.

I think the way to solve this is for some company like Ubuntu or even Linuxmint, to talk to some wifi adaptor creators
to work with the kernel guys to make it work by default. Then start selling them as potatoes as everyone will be
buying them because at this moment it seems there is no solution. To have one of these devices working by default
would make the selling of it skyrocket with linux users.

Well, I am using a long ethernet wire now and this is for me the best solution at this moment. Just 80 Gigas downloaded
today! And I have 300 Gigas waiting yet to come, in 15 hours is all here using ethernet wire. Using wifi it would be
3x longer for me.

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sbroccolo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Something to try if you live in a densely populated area. There's an app for android devices called WiFi Analyzer(several actually), I believe there's also one for Apple and Windows machines. I haven't found one for Linux yet. It will show you graphically what channels in your area are the most congested. Typically channels 3-8 for 2.4ghz. You can then change your router settings to use a less congested channel, such as 11.

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sbroccolo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:15 pm

And I am curious if I use the 5Ghz wifi of the router
if I can achieve better results because perhaps all my neighbours are using 2.4Ghz band. But as the above
post says: the 5Ghz thing is a problematic issue in linux at the moment.
You probably will. I would give the Panda PAU07 a try. Yes I found it inconsistent but for $20 it's a cheap test to see if you can get rid of that ugly wire.

Bao2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bao2 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 pm

sbroccolo wrote:Something to try if you live in a densely populated area. There's an app for android devices called WiFi Analyzer(several actually), I believe there's also one for Apple and Windows machines. I haven't found one for Linux yet. It will show you graphically what channels in your area are the most congested. Typically channels 3-8 for 2.4ghz. You can then change your router settings to use a less congested channel, such as 11.
That is a great idea. Downloading that app now in my phone... thanks!!!
I took a look at it and there is also a tool for linuxmint in the software manager: LinSsid

I have downloaded the app, it shows my neighborhood using mostly channels 1 and 5 so I choose channel 13 that nobody was using
and my speed is now maximum and same as with the ethernet wire. So I don't need at the moment the 5G range of my router, just using
the channel with less people worked for me with my current WN722N adaptor (2.4Ghz).

But someday we will need to have the 5Ghz adaptors working in Linux. I hope soon one of them is supported and I will buy it. I was today
to a computer shop and asked for one adaptor that works in 5Ghz and they said they don't know and me to search one and say to them so they
can order it. And I said: well, I think no one at the moment works by default in linux realiably sadly.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Bao2 wrote:I took a look at it and there is also a tool for linuxmint in the software manager: LinSsid
That's great to know. Up until now I've been reliant on the Wireless Survey function in Tomato on my router but as it's Wireless B & G only, it presumably doesn't detect the Wireless N networks which (AFAIK) use the same frequencies.

There used to be a Toshiba utility which performed a similar function, albeit mainly intended as a "range finder", but this was obviously for Windows which my NB305 came with.

Surprising how many people are using the same channels when there are clear ones. Routers are supposed to be able to take care of that. But, do remember that the sidebands overlap other channels, when running at higher bitrates, so bear that in mind when choosing one.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sbroccolo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:28 pm

This is why I love the Linux community. I had tried WiFi Radar from the Software repository, but didn't mention it because it did not work real well and is a real resource hog.Now this, LinSsid, is real cool and works great. Thanks!
As for 5GHZ, there may already be ones out there that work fine. As for the two I have, Belkin is notorious for not playing nice with Linux, so I am surprised it even works at all. The Panda is cheap, very small and no external antenna. Given the shorter range 5ghz is much better with an external antenna. So there may be better ones out there but I am not ready to spend $50 or more just to try one when what I have works fine.
Also, don't limit yourself to USB adapters. If you have a desktop obviously PCI-E cards are available. But, did you know that the card in your laptop is also PCI-E and pretty easy to change. Hardware compatibility is a real issue so if you decide to try one make sure there is a liberal return policy. Qualcom, Atheros, Intel, and Asus, all tend to be Linux friendly.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:56 pm

sbroccolo wrote:Many will think I am crazy, but I have 3 Wifi adapters connected to my Lenovo Thinkcentre M78. I have 3 different Linux Oses and Window 7 Pro installed.
Each OS seems to have its favorite. I turn off "Automatically Connect" on all but the best for each system.
First, TP-Link tl-wn722n. Since I like to experiment with various Linux Oses I have found this one to work every time. It consistently connects at 72MBs. Kali Linux especially likes this one.

TP-Link tl-wn822n. Extremely fast and reliable(once you get it working)on Ubuntu based Linuxes, consistently connecting at 144MBs. However, it takes a little work to get it going, and each time you upgrade the kernel you will have to remake the driver.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install git
git clone https://github.com/jeremyb31/rtl8192eu-linux-driver
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe 8192eu
(the last four commands to be run after any kernel upgrade)

Belkin N750 Dual Band - This is my "Cadillac". incredibly fast on Windows especially at 5GHZ, but until a month ago, just wouldn't work on Linux. Not even sure which kernel upgrade it started to work with. I just noticed it one day on my Network Connections. The 2.4ghz connection is just ok, never as good as the TL-WN722N, the 5GHZ connection is inconsistent, can run from snail like slow to twice as fast as the TL-WN822N. I should probably spend some time troubleshooting but haven't.

Then I have a Panda PAU07 Dual Band. I bought it a while ago (before the Belkin started to work) because I really wanted to connect at 5GHZ on Linux and it was cheap, $20. Well, it behaves exactly like the Belkin. I only connect it after a kernel upgrade to see if I get different results.

So, along with the other suggestions, there's my 2 cents.
It seems there is another version of the TL-WN722N and it doesn't work out of the box like the original but if you search for the ID from lsusb there is a fix out there

If you want to use the DKMS of that rtl8192eu-linux-driver, do

make clean
git pull
You should see updates for dkms.conf, then

sudo apt-get install dkms
cd
sudo dkms add ./rtl8192eu-linux-driver
sudo dkms install rtl8192eu-linux-driver/4.3.1.1
It will update itself when the new kernel is installed

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sbroccolo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Jeremyb31, the man himself, the legend! Thank you!
Yes, it was your original directions that helped me out, and I shamelessly reposted here.
I will give that a try.

tcheuchter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tcheuchter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:18 pm

HiJeremy,
I have been trying now for a couple of days to install successfully, the WN822N v4 on my Linux mint (Sonya build) cinnamon.
I followed all of your instructions and the adapter appeared to install successfully. IE the available wireless connections are in the network manager and are detected.
When I try to connect it keeps throwing up the insert password security window. The correct password is inserted and yet it will not connect.It keeps sending back up the insert password dialogue box.
I tried the power management command you put up and also set the country to GB, none of which has worked. I wonder if I am missing something?

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:14 pm

It is the chipset of a WiFi dongle that makes it compatible with Linux.
Popular chipsets include the Ralink 3070, Atheros AR9271, and Realtek 8187

MentalGiant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MentalGiant » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:22 am

Experimenting with an old laptop, I got the following USB Wifi Adapter to work with Linux Mint 13. It was just a matter of plugging it in and giving Mint five or six minutes to get it working.

Unlocked Telstra Australia ZTE USB Wifi Modem
Manufacturer: ZTE Corporation
Model: MF626i

There's probably a good chance these will work on later versions of Linux Mint and Wifi Adapters like this are available at low cost on Ebay.

Return to “Wireless”