slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DAMIEN1307
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby DAMIEN1307 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:18 pm

hey jeff...you mentioned that they "made a few changes to the modem" and it upped your speed on both wireless and ethernet...i do think that the ISP and modem/router does qualify as if not THE problem, then at least from where you were to where your at now is at least a substantial PART of the problem?...let us all know how it works out for you...DAMIEN

jeffcraft1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby jeffcraft1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:46 pm

about 30 seconds after i got off the phone with them it dropped back down

DAMIEN1307
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby DAMIEN1307 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:08 pm

hi jeff...if i got this correct, your windows operating system, if left on for any length of time suffers no internet slowdown failure at all, no matter if its on wifi or ethernet?...DAMIEN

jeffcraft1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby jeffcraft1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:41 pm

ive never had to plug it in to ethernet because the wifi signal is steady and doesnt drop

jeffcraft1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby jeffcraft1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:hi jeff...if i got this correct, your windows operating system, if left on for any length of time suffers no internet slowdown failure at all, no matter if its on wifi or ethernet?...DAMIEN

i never had to plug it in on windows because it worked perfectly on wifi

DAMIEN1307
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby DAMIEN1307 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14 pm

hi jeff...your original post snippet as follows..."hello im dualbooting mint 18.1 cinnamon on a laptop with windows 10. i had to switch to linux because windows 10 became very slow and almost unusable. well i get around 30mbps on windows 10 and on mint its less than 5mbps. i know very little about linux or how to fix this problem. help "...my problem 3 months ago was identical...the internet speeds kept varying and it did not matter if it was my win 10 my mac or linux...the speed test was all over the place and the problem was definitley the signal to noise ratio was out of wack...they didnt believe them until i finally had enough of their BS and i gave them my FCC call sign number to look up where they found out im not just a user but a guy that knows how to build electronic systems...this tells me that windows 10 was also very weak on your internet connection...you really need to use your windows system also to see if things are the same...if they are the same problems with speed then i still believe the problem is with your ISP...trust me i have had to fight mine over the years to have THEM correct THEIR screw ups...I demanded that they make a service call to my house to test line in etc...also, they didnt want to do this in my case because all my utilites happen to be underground and they KNOW that which means really extra work for them they do not want to do but are obligated to do under contract...they dont ever admit willingly that they are at fault...WHY...because the would have to adjust the amount they bill you for bad service...DAMIEN

jeffcraft1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby jeffcraft1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:41 pm

with the wifi instability on windows 10 it was because my old router was messed up. they came and replaced it and the wifi instability on windows 10 stopped. i used windows 10 for about a month before the OS became too slow to run and then switched back to linux. the only difference that the new router made on linux is that at the lowest ill get 1.5 mbps instead of .3mbps. i live in an apartment complex they have done every thing they can on their end to fix the issue. the housing company will not let them come in and replace the wires here without a very good reason thats why i say the problem has to be with linux. they have literally done everything they can on their end. they replaced the original modem and all of its cabels. i have the newest and best wifi router that they offer. for the month after they changed the router i did not experience one single drop in wifi on windows 10. it was absolutely perfect on there

jeffcraft1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby jeffcraft1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:07 am

jeffcraft1 wrote:with the wifi instability on windows 10 it was because my old router was messed up. they came and replaced it and the wifi instability on windows 10 stopped. i used windows 10 for about a month before the OS became too slow to run and then switched back to linux. the only difference that the new router made on linux is that at the lowest ill get 1.5 mbps instead of .3mbps. i live in an apartment complex they have done every thing they can on their end to fix the issue. the housing company will not let them come in and replace the wires here without a very good reason thats why i say the problem has to be with linux. they have literally done everything they can on their end. they replaced the original modem and all of its cabels. i have the newest and best wifi router that they offer. for the month after they changed the router i did not experience one single drop in wifi on windows 10. it was absolutely perfect on there
DAMIEN1307 wrote:hi jeff...your original post snippet as follows..."hello im dualbooting mint 18.1 cinnamon on a laptop with windows 10. i had to switch to linux because windows 10 became very slow and almost unusable. well i get around 30mbps on windows 10 and on mint its less than 5mbps. i know very little about linux or how to fix this problem. help "...my problem 3 months ago was identical...the internet speeds kept varying and it did not matter if it was my win 10 my mac or linux...the speed test was all over the place and the problem was definitley the signal to noise ratio was out of wack...they didnt believe them until i finally had enough of their BS and i gave them my FCC call sign number to look up where they found out im not just a user but a guy that knows how to build electronic systems...this tells me that windows 10 was also very weak on your internet connection...you really need to use your windows system also to see if things are the same...if they are the same problems with speed then i still believe the problem is with your ISP...trust me i have had to fight mine over the years to have THEM correct THEIR screw ups...I demanded that they make a service call to my house to test line in etc...also, they didnt want to do this in my case because all my utilites happen to be underground and they KNOW that which means really extra work for them they do not want to do but are obligated to do under contract...they dont ever admit willingly that they are at fault...WHY...because the would have to adjust the amount they bill you for bad service...DAMIEN



any new ideas

JeremyB
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6657
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby JeremyB » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:32 am

We could try the modules from Larry Fingers github site as he maintains the kernel module for the Realtek wifi cards

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential git

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git

Code: Select all

cd rtlwifi-new

Code: Select all

make

Code: Select all

sudo make install

Reboot

jeffcraft1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: slow internet please help dont know how to fix it. no knowledge of linux

Postby jeffcraft1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:32 am

JeremyB wrote:We could try the modules from Larry Fingers github site as he maintains the kernel module for the Realtek wifi cards

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential git

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git

Code: Select all

cd rtlwifi-new

Code: Select all

make

Code: Select all

sudo make install

Reboot


i tried that and when i entered it in it told me i already upgraded that so i must have done it at sometime in the past


Return to “Wireless”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HappyMark and 2 guests