Wifi Problem in rtl8723be

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
styx_97

Wifi Problem in rtl8723be

Post by styx_97 »

Hi Guys, I've been facing a wifi problem in Mint 18(cinnamon). At first, the strength was 48% although the router's in my room. So I read Jeremy31's answer https://askubuntu.com/questions/717685/ ... 904#722904 which fixed that issue. Although I had to type

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=2 
every time i logged in.
But,recently, with having the improved connection strength, I can't connect to the internet at all. Any website shows the error -

This site can’t be reached
http://www.example.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
Try:
Checking the proxy, firewall and DNS configuration
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

I tried using the ipv4 addresses thinking this might just be a dns issue with no luck. The internet works when it's wired.
Any help is appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wifi Problem in rtl8723be

Post by songhuijohn »

The first thing I always suggest to anyone having WIFI problems is power the router off and wait a couple of minutes and then power the router on.
In my experience router are notorious for having memory leaks and the power off / power on sequence will fix these kinds of problems.
As a normal course of usage, I suggest to everyone to do this power off / power on sequence once a month for their modem/router.

If this does not fix your problem, at least you have eliminated this as a problem.

Also, if you have in any way modified the setup of your router, you should see if resetting the router to its default settings fixes your problem.
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Wifi Problem in rtl8723be

Post by JeremyB »

To avoid having to type those commands after every reboot

Code: Select all

echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2 " | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be-ant.conf
See the wireless script link in my signature and post results

Return to “Networking”