Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
teva
Level 1
Level 1

Can't Connect to Uni Wifi - WPA2/PEAP/MSCHAPv2

Postby teva » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi,

This is my first time on the forum so apologies in advance if I miss any details. I have a fresh install of Linux Mint 18 on a new laptop:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: tim-ThinkPad-Yoga-460 Kernel: 4.4.0-83-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection I219-V
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k bus-ID: 00:1f.6 chip-ID: 8086:1570
           IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 8260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:24f3
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>           

I can connect to my home wifi and a hotspot from my phone (WPA2 Personal) no problem so I don't think this a driver problem. I can't, however, connect to my Uni network. It connects but I have no internet coming through. My guess is that it is a network-manager issue as I am also experiencing issues where the connections all disappear but return with a

sudo service network-manager restart
something I have seen many people are experiencing with Mint 18, although this may be unrelated.

The strange thing about it is I have a access to two other Linux Mint machines (one running Mint 17 and the other 18) and both of them connect without any issue. However, using the exact same settings my laptop gets no wifi. Here is the network-manager settings:

[connection]
id=****
uuid=521a7ec2-dc41-4383-98fc-885ec0dce822
type=wifi
interface-name=wlp3s0
permissions=
secondaries=

[wifi]
mac-address=14:AB:C5:68:40:F2
mac-address-blacklist=
mac-address-randomization=0
mode=infrastructure
seen-bssids=
ssid=****

[wifi-security]
group=
key-mgmt=wpa-eap
pairwise=
proto=

[802-1x]
altsubject-matches=
eap=peap;
identity=****
password=****
phase2-altsubject-matches=
phase2-auth=mschapv2

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
ip6-privacy=0
method=auto

Perhaps it might be as simple as editing this slightly but nothing I have tried so far has got me anywhere.

I made bootable USB of Ubuntu 16.04 and had exactly the same problem. I also made a bootable usb of Ubuntu 17.04 (which runs a newer version of network-manager) and that uni wifi connected and worked fine. I would rather not have to leave Mint for Ubuntu :( so any help would be greatly appreciated!

rebelNode
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't Connect to Uni Wifi - WPA2/PEAP/MSCHAPv2

Postby rebelNode » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20 pm

Hello Teva,

After spending an hour and a half reading multiple possible solutions online. I came across one that worked for me and is relatively easy. (Yay!)
All credits go to "randomnumber," I'm merely just spreading the word.

See the link below:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1455704#post1455704

My system: ASUS laptop running Linux Mint 18 Sarah version 4.4.0

Steps I followed to connect to my Uni "premium" connection:
  1. Go to Network Manager. In my case was "Network"
  2. Go to "Connect to a hidden network"
  3. "Network Name:" Name of your Uni secured wifi followed by "WiFi security:" WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
  4. "Authentication:" Protected EAP, Check the box for "No CA certificate required", "Username:" Your college ID i believe, "Password:" You know which pass goes here, and leave the rest as it is.
  5. Save the network. It may ask you to type back your credentials one more time but after that would be it!

Hope it helps you and anyone else looking for an answer! :D

Return to “Wireless”