Hidden WiFi network - sometimes connects, sometimes doesn't - why?

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
mingle
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Hidden WiFi network - sometimes connects, sometimes doesn't - why?

Post by mingle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 am

Hi Guys,

Clean install of LM18.2 xfce 64-bit on Lenovo T430.

My Wi-Fi router has a hidden SSID, which I have set up in network connections. All works fine.

However, after a shutdown and restart, the network doesn't always automatically connect. I have to go in and manually "Connect to hidden Wi-Fi Network" to get the connection going.

This happens probably 40% of the time. The other 60% it connects automatically.

Does anyone have any suggestions on wheat I can check/monitor in order to find the cause?

Cheers,

Mike.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13874
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Hidden WiFi network - sometimes connects, sometimes doesn't - why?

Post by Pjotr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:27 am

Don't hide your SSID. Because it actually.... *decreases* your security(!) and because it might also decrease connectivity.

Explanation on this page (Wireless security: four popular myths and 12 tips):
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... tywireless
(Myth 1, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Post Reply

Return to “Wireless”