Connect Printer to telephone line wirelessly? [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Connect Printer to telephone line wirelessly? [SOLVED]

Post by gael33 »

My partner has bought a HP LaserJet printer with telephone line connection (RJ11). However, the telephone wall socket and main router is unreachable from where the new printer is situated (no! It's not possible to move the printer position), how can I set up a wireless connection from where the new printer is situated? I guess there are multiple ways of doing this, but I've never had reason before now to do it. Incidentally, I do have a not so old router (previous version to the one I have now) still in a box.
Any help will be appreciated.
gael.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Connect Printer to telephone line wirelessly?

Post by JerryF »

I think that jack is only for faxing. What is the model of the printer?
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 »

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

GE makes a wireless phone jack (and a base station) that plugs into an electrical wall socket - GE TL-86597 Instajack™ Wireless Phone Jack System

It is pretty simple - the base station plugs in to an electrical outlet and has two jacks - one from the phone and the other to the phone jack in the wall.

Plug the extender in an electrical outlet in the room with the printer and simply plug the printer into the wireless extender - done.

The only trick is - do they make one that is compatible with European (220) electrical outlets.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Your model has wireless capability. Is your router a wireless one? If so, you won't need to connect using a wire.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 »

Thanks guys, the router is in fact a wireless router and everything appears to be working okay. The spare telephone cable is possibly for the fax facility, but I'm not sure. I don't think you can fax wirelessly, can you? I haven't seen a fax machine in years. :)
Okay, I think we have exhausted this subject now that the wee woman's printer is working to her satisfaction ;)

gael.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

gael33 wrote:Thanks guys, the router is in fact a wireless router and everything appears to be working okay. The spare telephone cable is possibly for the fax facility, but I'm not sure. I don't think you can fax wirelessly, can you? I haven't seen a fax machine in years. :)
Okay, I think we have exhausted this subject now that the wee woman's printer is working to her satisfaction ;)

gael.
No, I don't think you can fax wirelessly, but there are great online fax services. I use http://www.faxzero.com because the company that we have for our lease on our printer, their office only receives faxes for the monthly "counter" page (it shows how much we've used it).

I know there are others, but faxzero suits our needs.
Last edited by JerryF on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Connect Printer to telephone line wirelessly? [SOLVED]

Post by rene »

Yes, the RJ11 connector is for faxing only. If you insist though, and in addition to majpooper's reply above; if you have a DECT telehone (wired base-station plus wireless DECT handsets) you could add a DECT-to-Line adaptor such as http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/140 ... vers-ligne. It connects wirelessly to your DECT base-station (which considers it to be just another handset) and wired to your fax-machine/printer.

Return to “Networking”