Linux Mint 18.2 KDE 64 bit slow wifi (SOLVED)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
I love Linux

Linux Mint 18.2 KDE 64 bit slow wifi (SOLVED)

Post by I love Linux »

Upgraded from Linux Mint 17.3 KDE 64 bit to Linux Mint 18.2 KDE 64 bit. Did a clean install and having a problem with wifi download speed. Used several speed test web sites and only getting about 25 Mbps or slower. The speed test will start at about 35 Mbps then slows down fast. Was getting about 60 Mbps download speed on Linux Mint 17.3 KDE. Get the same download speed when running the live Linux Mint 18.2 KDE DVD. Verified my computer wifi was ok by running Puppy Linux from USB drive and get about 60 to 70 Mbps download speed. Updated the iwlwifi driver from intel to the latest version and made no difference. Installed newer version of kernel 4.10.0-32.36-16.04 but it made wifi download speed slower to 2 to 4 Mbps . Info about my computer wifi is below.

scott@scott-HP-EliteBook-8560p ~ $ inxi -nz
Network: Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint 18.2 KDE 64 bit slow wifi

Post by JeremyB »

Try this

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf

systemctl restart network-manager.service
It will keep Network Manager from enabling wifi power save and it really helps with Intel wifi
I love Linux

Post by I love Linux »

I tried the command to turn wifi powersave to 2 but the download speed is the same. Verified wifi power management was turned off with iwconfig.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Lets try enabling aggressive tx in the kernel module parameters

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlopts.conf
Reboot
I love Linux

Post by I love Linux »

Than did the trick! I now get 60 to 70 Mbps download speed. Thank you.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Glad it worked, when you have decided to consider this solved, please edit the Subject in the original post to add SOLVED so it might help others looking for a solution
I love Linux

Post by I love Linux »

How do i edit the subject to say SOLVED?
Penthor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 18.2 KDE 64 bit slow wifi (SOLVED)

Post by Penthor »

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to comment that the code that JeremyB suggested to turn off power management also enabled my Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wireless card. Thanks Jeremy.

Return to “Networking”