Wifi reported insecure connection until after connecting to another connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DerpySteak

Wifi reported insecure connection until after connecting to another connection

Post by DerpySteak »

This isn't a problem, more like a re[port. Maybe if you're having a similar problem to what I had maybe this will help.

I had just installed Mint 18.1 on an Alienware Alpha. Everything installed just fine and the networking appeared to work. It connected fine with the software center and update servers.
Then I launched Firefox. It reported, no matter what site I went to that the connection was insecure. Same with Chromium, even with google.com.
I went into my router firmware and everything looked good. I temporarily changed a few things and nothing worked.
I then wanted to see if it would work using mobile hotspot on my phone, effectively connecting my pc to the cellular network, which was slow, but worked just fine. After going to speedof.me to verify it was working (I got like .5mbps down but it was working) I switched back to the WiFi in question. To my surprise, it worked flawlessly at full speed. I did not have to change wifi drivers or anything. All I did was connect to another WiFi connection, go back and it was fine.
Has anyone else encountered this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”