Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
longmonkey
Level 1
Level 1

Can't connect to new wifi network on Mint 18

Postby longmonkey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 am

Good morning / afternoon / evening (wherever you are!)

I hope someone can help with this.
I've only found a few posts here and on other forums with this specific problem, but so far no solutions.

Linux Mint 18 XFCE running on an old white macbook (duel booted with OSX 10.6)

Never had any wifi issues on Mint up until now - we've just had the router replaced and a new broadband account setup (it was in my flatmate's name until recently - he's moved out so I had the account moved over to me)

*All other computers and devices in the house can connect to the new wifi network absolutely fine.

*The OSX 10.6 side of the old macbook also connects to the new network just fine.

*Mint sees the new wifi network, I've entered the password, it tries to connect but times out.

*The Mint side of the macbook can connect to other wifi networks (at friend's houses, mobile hotspots etc) absoutely fine.

Mint seems to have saved the password and I'm not being prompted for it again (and yes I've checked that it's correct) it just won't connect to this particular network. As I said, all other devices and computers in the house have no problem connecting to it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

kc1di
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Can't connect to new wifi network on Mint 18

Postby kc1di » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:18 am

Hello and Welcome to Linux Mint.
There are a couple of thoughts that come to mind.
First let us know what your wireless card is if you don't know for sure enter this command and post the output here.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

2. Check to see if IPV6 security is enable (right click on network manager icon >edit connection > click on your wireless connection and then edit go to IPV6 connection tab and if it says automatic change that to ignore for the time being.
Then try the connection again.
John 3:16
Morse code an Early Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2082305&p=12350385#post12350385
Good terminal command tutorial: https://ryanstutorials.net/linuxtutorial/

longmonkey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby longmonkey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks for the reply! :)

Here's the output of inxi -Fxz as it relates to the wireless card:

Code: Select all

Card-1: Broadcom BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wls4 state: dormant mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: 5000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: ens5 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

I've set IPV6 to "ignore" and tried to re-connect, but it still times out.

longmonkey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby longmonkey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 am

Update:

I connected the Linux laptop to the router/hub with an ethernet cable and accessed the settings page for the router. This Virgin Media hub broadcasts at 2.4 and 5ghz simulteaneously. I disabled 5ghz and then pulled out the cable.

Network Manager immediately re-connected to the wifi (after prompting for the password again) and is now connected fine. Albeit at 2.4ghz.

So, I can use the Linux side of the laptop wirelessly for now.. However, the question still remains as to why this should be? The wireless card can obviously handle 5ghz since the OSX installation on the very same machine (and therefore using the exact same wifi card) connects with no problems. Is there an issue with Mint which causes problems with picking up 5ghz signals?

Ideally I'd like to re-enable 5ghz ... we're in quite a crowded block here and the old broadband account (which used a 2.4ghz signal only) suffered from a lot of dropouts. Also my main desktop machine's connection seems to run a little faster on 5ghz (although I'm aware this may just be a psychological placebo effect!)

syg00
Level 4
Level 4

Postby syg00 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Give the two bands individual SSID's - then connect to whichever you want. The 5ghz will have shorter range generally.
Just get into the setup page for the router - I recently had to do likewise when switching to cable.

Return to “Wireless”