[RESOLVED] Struggling to install drivers for network card

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SJM

[RESOLVED] Struggling to install drivers for network card

Post by SJM »

Hi all

I'm rather new to Linux I'm afraid.

I'm trying to install the drivers for a Tenda W322E wireless network card in Linux Mint 18.2. (At the moment I can get online but only by using my Android phone in USB tether mode, which isn't the most convenient thing ever.)

I've found what seems to be the right driver for the network card online and downloaded it, so now I've got a file called hybrid-v35_64-nodebug-pcoem-6_30_223_248.rar -- but there doesn't seem to be anything I can click to get Linux Mint to install it? Am I being really dumb here?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Struggling to install drivers for network card

Post by WharfRat »

Hello SJM Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

That file is an archive and would first have to be unpacked with tar xvf hybrid-v35_64-nodebug-pcoem-6_30_223_248.rar :wink:

Hopefully there's a README file that explains how to install it.
SJM

Post by SJM »

Hello, thanks for the welcome. :)

I've unpacked it but installation instructions seem to be missing. It's given me a folder called "lib", a folder called "src", and a document called "makefile" that opens like a text document but seems to contain code.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

While tethered to the phone try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
SJM

Post by SJM »

Thank you!