Ideapad 310 keeps dropping wifi

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Ideapad 310 keeps dropping wifi

Post by hattpa »

Hi all, sorry if this should be in a different area, but here goes...
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 310. And surprise, surprise I want to install Linux.#
But...in 'live' mode everything seems find, but when installed the wifi drops after an apparently random amount of time, could be 5 minutes could be 10.
I've googled this somewhat and each of the 'fixed' doesn't appear to work.
So question is does anyone have Linux running on one of these and if so how did you get wifi running reliably.
BTW the wifi card is a Realtek 8821A
Cheers

P.S. alternately...if anyone knows a distro that 'works' with this laptop, please also let me know
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Ideapad 310 keeps dropping wifi

Post by hattpa »

No one have any ideas?
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would actually try

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf

Code: Select all

systemctl restart network-manager.service
This will disable wireless power management and should help
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hattpa »

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work. Looks like Linux has issues with Realtek cards, guess I'll stick with Win10 on the laptop for now :?
Mark Twain
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

If that's what you prefer, then sure, go ahead. Otherwise you could try other solutions, such as a wifi USB dongle. Many of them work out of the box on Linux Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Networking”