Mint 17.3 tethering problem

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grazie

Mint 17.3 tethering problem

Post by grazie »

Never had any problems connecting my Mint laptop to wireless networks before, but can't get it to work with tethering to either my iPhone or my newly acquired 4G Mobile device. No problems authenticating the connection, but I don't get any data transfer. No problems tethering to the same devices with my Andriod tablet .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 17.3 tethering problem

Post by catweazel »

You don't say how you're tethering. I use bluetooth. What are you doing?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
grazie

Re: Mint 17.3 tethering problem

Post by grazie »

Doesn't matter what transport layer I use, neither wifi, bluetooth or usb connections work. I can connect to the 4G devices (either 4G modem or iPhone) wirelessly, but no data transfer takes place. Using an Andriod tablet with the same 4G devices works fine.

Just checked some things and noticed that I don't have a DHCP client installed on Mint. As standard wifi connections always work (DHCP provided by the wifi service I pressume), could this be why networking with a 4G connection is failing?

Edit
Needed this fixing urgently, so after discovering that the same laptop had no networking problems when running a live image, I had to resort to reinstalling an OS to get some work done.

Return to “Networking”