Wireless Dongle TL-WN823N will not work unless plugged in after booting

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Strawburry Club

Wireless Dongle TL-WN823N will not work unless plugged in after booting

Post by Strawburry Club »

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct subforum to post my problem... if it is not, please point me in the right direction.

I recently installed Linux Mint and have had some trouble in getting my WLan-dongle to operate. Now, after some research on Google I did manage to get it running, but everytime I boot, it will not recognise the dongle until I unplug it and then plug it in again. I did a Google search and a quick search of this forum, but couldn't find anything. I am using a TP Link TL-WN823N on Linux Mint 18.1 Serena 64 bit.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sbroccolo

Re: Wireless Dongle TL-WN823N will not work unless plugged in after booting

Post by sbroccolo »

You don't mention how you managed to get it running. Some methods are better than others.
It has been my experience that the method described here by jeremyb31 is the most reliable.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=256189&p=1381597&h ... u#p1381597

It may also have something to do with how your machine hands off control of the USB ports to Linux. I have an old Toshiba I don't use much anymore that won't recognize my Panda WiFi adapter unless I plug it in after boot. I have two other machines running the exact same Mint that work fine with it.

Return to “Networking”