Can I make a LAN with my ISP's home modem?

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
drpeppercan
Level 1
Level 1

Can I make a LAN with my ISP's home modem?

Post by drpeppercan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi all,

I have 2 PCs at home, PC-01 is running Win10 and Ubuntu 16.04 (wireless). PC-02 is running Win10 and Linux Mint (Mate) 18.3 (wired).
I was wondering if I could use my ISP's home modem: Home Hub 3000, to connect them to each other.

Assuming it is possible, where do I start?

Thanks guys

trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can I make a LAN with my ISP's home modem?

Post by trapperjohn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:30 pm

If I understand your setup and your question, yes.

PC-01 has both a wireless adaptor and an (unused) ethernet adaptor. PC-02 has only an ethernet adaptor. You want to plug PC-01 into PC-02 using the ethernet ports and share the wireless connection on PC-01. Is that correct?

If so, internet connection sharing is the way to go. I have only done this using hard-core terminal commands on Arch linux. Mint may very well have an easier approach and I hope others will chime in if so. If you want to explore the terminal method, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Internet_sharing. It's an Arch Wiki page but the process applies to Linux in general.

If you want the two computers to be on the same subnet, say sharing files, you'll want a different approach. (In fact, this solves the above problem too but involves a purchase.) There are wireless access points that can be configured to receive the signal from your modem and which provide multiple ethernet ports for your computers. Let me know if you want a make and model that I have used sucessfully.

drpeppercan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drpeppercan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Thank you for sharing trapperjohn :)
Both PCs are connected to the same ISP modem. One via wireless, the other one wired.
I was able to get them to share files with Win10.
Now I'm looking into doing it with LM Mate 18.3 on one, and Ubuntu 16.04 on the other. (They're both dual boots).
Someone recommended to start by installing "openssh-server" on them. I got that done, now I just need to know the rest of the steps.

Happy holidays!

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Post by altair4 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:29 pm

On the Ubuntu machine:

** Open a terminal
** Run this command:

Code: Select all

nautilus ssh://PC-02.local
I am assuming that PC-02 is the actual host name of your Mint box - and don't forget the .local at the end.
You will get some butt-ugly looking thing like this:
ssh-ubuntu-client.png
Click on Log in Anyway

** Then you will get a request for a user name and password on PC-02 like this:
ssh-ubuntu-client-creds.png
ssh-ubuntu-client-creds.png (23.43 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Nautilus should open up to list all the files on that machine. When it does Bookmark it in Nautilus so you don’t have to go to the terminal again.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

tovian
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tovian » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:11 pm

.-.
Just a thought.....

You may be headed into a "Maintenance Nightmare". If you are trying to share files on a Linux partition while Windows is booted and controlling the Linux partition... then share "Windows files" when Linux is booted and controlling the resources... and do this on TWO machines that both dual-boot... it can be done, but your head is going to explode before very long. If you have - or can get - another machine (even an older one) you would be well served to load it with either Windows or Linux and use it as a simple file-server. You can put all your common files on that machine's disk drive(s) and share them to either of the other machines regardless of which OS they are booted to. Once I did this in my environment I was able to reclaim just a bit of the sanity I had lost in trying to share resources from several computers to several others.

A simple file-server gives you a single repository for all your important files, a single set of SHARES to maintain, a single location to back up for ongoing safety, a simple way to isolate your data from upgrades/changes to the OS's you have on your work-stations, etc. Also, you can probably configure your modem/router to block access between the file-server and the Internet (using the server's MAC-address) and that will help keep it safer from intrusion/hacking. In a small environment (SOHO) you can use a standard OS (Windows or Linux) for the file-server... you DO NOT need an exotic "Server-OS". Start by loading your file-server with the OS you are most comfortable with - then migrate to the other if the need arises.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"
"We're just the guys to do it.”

Animal House

drpeppercan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drpeppercan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Wow!
That was priceless tovian, thank you so so much for sharing! :D
I'll for sure look into that.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Post by altair4 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:15 pm

You might also want to see if you can use the USB port available on the Home Hub 3000.

Here are the instructions for accessing it on a Mac: http://support.bell.ca/Internet/Connect ... e_hub_3000

The "Connect to Server" function is available on Mint and Ubuntu so the process may be about the same.

It is not altogether clear what protocol they are using to access this device but since the Mac uses SMB ( what we call Samba ) by default these days and since there is no SSH client embedded in their file manager I'm guessing it's a samba server on the HomeHub.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Post by altair4 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Having a real hard time finding the user manual for this damn thing but for an earlier model the instructions for the mac does indeed reference smb:
For Mac:
1. Connect a USB drive to your router.
2. On your Mac, click on Go, then Connect to Server.
3. Type smb://192.168.1.1 under Server Address.
4. Click Connect.
The "Connect to Server" function in Ubuntu and Mint's MATE are under File in their respective file managers.

drpeppercan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drpeppercan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:36 pm

LOL, altair4, you were reading my mind!
I was just typing this:

Actually...
I know is not quite the same as having a dedicated server, but to address the "repository idea", what about using a USB drive plugged to my ISP's modem (Home Hub 3000) to keep common files and backups. I have not tried accessing it with Linux yet, but I know it does show in the Windows File Manager's Network section.
Oh, wait a second!... I was able to get files from the USB drive plugged to the modem to a computer. BUT I was not able to send them from the computer to the same USB drive :roll:
This means that every time I need to update the files in the USB drive, I will have to unplug it and bring it to a computer, and put it back. This is clearly a disadvantage compared to the server idea.
Just thinking out loud I guess...

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Post by altair4 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:20 pm

How is the USB device formatted?

There's an obscure reference in the only document I can access that states:
USB Storage
Files may be shared within your network by connecting a USB storage device (e.g. flash drive, external hard drive, etc.) to your router. All users connected to your network will be able to view, add, modify and delete any files on your storage device.
But then it states:
The following file systems are supported: FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, Ext2, Ext3, HFS, HFS+
 Some file systems function as read only depending on the permissions configured on your storage device.
I doubt you are using HFS but it may be that that the device is mounting an NTFS formatted disk as read only. If it's FAT32 and it's still read only ....

drpeppercan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drpeppercan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Fat32
I also used DiskPart from Windows 10 to ensure it was not ReadOnly, but I still can't paste any files into it. Maybe it's due to the modem settings (?).
I checked them, specifically settings on the USB drive, but I couldn't find anything showing anything relevant.
Furthermore, I switched the USB key for another one, and I still could not paste files :(

drpeppercan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drpeppercan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:34 pm

altair4,

It's all good!
I used your SSH command and it's all working now!

Thank you so much :D

Happy New Year!

Return to “Wireless”