[SOLVED]Still having problem with the network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exsencon

[SOLVED]Still having problem with the network

Post by exsencon »

SOLVED
I know this problem has been discussed earlier here but since the posts are kind of old I thought it might be better to start a new one. Sorry,if I was wrong.
My situation: 3 PC's one running Windows10 (and if it continues behaving as it does right now,it will be short lived) and 2 Linux mint 18 PC's (among other OS)
Now my little home network: The Windows10 PC can see the Linux PC's, I can see all the files,I can read and write to them,so no problem.
Now the Linux PC's have the Windows10 PC in the network,but I can't open it. It always returns with: Unable to mount location.
Failed to retrieve share list from server:connection timed out.
I tried about everything I found here and everywhere-no luck.
So in conclusion: the Windows box works with Linux,but Linux can't reach the files of the Windows box.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mibolsaichi

Re: Still having problem with the network

Post by mibolsaichi »

Have you checked the settings on the Win10 PC to make sure that File and Printer Sharing have been enabled and allowed through the Windows Firewall?
Also, are you accessing the shares using DNS names or IP address?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

WARNING: This is going to be an unbelievably long post.
Unable to mount location.
Failed to retrieve share list from server:connection timed out.
That is an unfortunate error message because it can have many causes.

Since it's Win10 we are talking about my first question is this: Is this a new installation of WIn10?

Win10 no longer enables SMB1 by default in new releases. Regrettably, Linux file managers can only access samba servers using SMB1 which results in the exact error message you received.

You can verify if this is the problem by invoking the following command - replace 192.168.0.101 with the ip address of the Win10 machine:

Code: Select all

smbclient -L 192.168.0.101
If it's the SMB1 problem you should get this error message:
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET
You have two choices if this is the case:

[1] Make it so that the file manager uses something other than SMB1 to access the WIn10 machine: Samba Without SMB1

[2] Use CIFS to access the Win10 machine and specify SMB3: On Demand CIFS Mounting of Shares

If however this is another name resolution issue - Linux can see the name of the Win10 machine but can't resolve it to an ip address - you have another set of alternatives:

[1] Use an ip address which would only make sense if your machine has a static ip address.

[2] Or, Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and add the following line under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
[3] Or my personal favourite: Access the Win10 machine with it's mDNS host name: Win10, Linux, mDNS, and Samba File Sharing
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

f it's the SMB1 problem you should get this error message:

Yep,that's exactly what I am getting:

zeger@zeger-Inspiron ~ $ smbclient -L 192.168.0.227
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Enter zeger's password:
I will try your suggestions and see how far I get.
Anyway,thanks already for your help
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

[1] Make it so that the file manager uses something other than SMB1 to access the WIn10 machine: Samba Without SMB1
YES! Your first suggestion hit the bull's eye!
Finally all ok now.
Thanks a lot!
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

exsencon wrote:
YES! Your first suggestion hit the bull's eye!
Finally all ok now.
Thanks a lot!
exsencon, please change the title of your post to include the [SOLVED] keyword so anyone with a similar issue will be able to use your resolution as well.
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

Well,maybe I cried victory to early.
The problem now is that everything is alright as long as the PC's are powered up. When I power them down and say I power them back up next morning I lost everything. I just have the 2 Linux PC's talking happily to each other. I don't see the ******Windows10 PC at all in the network.
So what I did is putting the 3 IP's back with nmap
Then I remove the line "client max protocol = SMB3" in smb.conf, restart and I have the 3 PC's on my linux boxes. Of course the windows gives me the same message "unable to mount location"
Then I put the line "client max protocol = SMB3 back in smb.conf and it works ok. But it's clearly not a very good way to do things. Kind of cumbersome. I still think Win10 i the culprit (as it usually is). So I'll have to try other suggestion.
Still working on it. It's really a pity that MS/Windows is the way it is.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't see the ******Windows10 PC at all in the network.
Nor will you. As I stated in the link:
Bad News

Samba client host browsing ( the Computer Browsing Service in Windows ) and SMB1 are linked. You can not have one without the other. When you set the client max protocol to anything other than SMB1 ( called NT1 in Samba ) going to Nemo > Network > Windows Network results in an empty space. Running the smbtree command also results in nothing. Host browsing is broken.
This is a Linux thing. Host browsing and SMB1 are linked in Linux.

Browsing is broken but name resolution is not.

So you have to access ( and Bookmark ) the other machine explicitly by name. If my Win10 host name is win10 then I run:

nemo smb://win10
Then Bookmark it.

Or if I follow this HowTo I can access and bookmark it this way:

nemo smb://win10.local
EDIT: You can also do this with a CIFS mount: On Demand CIFS Mounting of Shares
This is how I access a Win10 share in fstab:

//vwin10.local/shared /media/Win10Shared cifs username=smbuser,password=smbuserpw,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,nounix,noauto,user,vers=3.0 0
The vers=3.0 stipulates that I am using version 3.0 of the smb dialect when I access the machine.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

Now this seems to work. I did nemo smb://zeger2 (my Win10 hostname) and bookmarked it.
I rebooted my two linux PC's and went into my bookmarks to get the *******Win10,and it works.
Just allow me another day to fully check it out but I think is must be right now. A rather peculiar way to get to Win10 but as I always say:only the result counts.
And you are right:browsing is broken,the rest works. So if I understand you well,we will have to wait for Linux to start with SMB3?
I'll get back to you tomorrow and hopefully we can mark this tread as solved.
Thanks again.
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

Yes,this definitely seems to work. I booted and rebooted the 2 Linux PC's several times and was always able to get to Win10 via the bookmarks.
So,I will mark this thread as solved now.
Thanks for standing by me!

Return to “Networking”