[SOLVED] LM18.1 - Bluetooth on HP Notebook does not detect devices

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skomo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM18.1 - Bluetooth on HP Notebook does not detect devices

Post by skomo »

JeremyB wrote:
linoleum wrote:Still the same. Not detecting devices, 'Bastien's Computer'(!!!???) and the rotating arrow graphic is stalled.

Output of 'echo -e "power on\n scan on\n quit" |bluetoothctl' is:

[bluetooth]# power on
No default controller available
[bluetooth]# scan on
No default controller available
[bluetooth]# quit
Lets try another source for the firmware

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/winterheart/broadcom-bt-firmware/blob/master/brcm/BCM43142A0-0a5c-216d.hcd
sudo cp BCM43142A0-0a5c-216d.hcd /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM.hcd
Reboot, if it doesn't work, feel free to try to make your own firmware using the askubuntu link provided by skomo
I do think that some kernel changes may have broken the firmware upload on some Broadcom bluetooth chipsets as my own Bluetooth dongle refuses to work at all when the firmware file is present but the firmware is only needed to use the HFP/HSP for low quality audio
Don't just reboot, is not enough... you need to turn off the computer completely

This is the firmware i extracted and converted from the windows driver.
https://app.box.com/s/0eus5ts34iflbvyyz2abx4s574x337eo

After a better reading, is illegal to include the firmware in a linux distribution, but clearly not to share it.

O.T. Why if i try to download the file uploaded to "box" with wget, it download a file with a strange name?
Last edited by SMG on Thu May 19, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking old, solved topic.
Current Machine ==> Matebook D13 2020 Linux Mint 20 5.8.0-29-generic
Ryzen 5 3500U with Vega 8 graphics

Previous Machine ==> Linux Mint 19.3 5.3.0-26-generic
AMD E2-6110 with R2 graphics (i loved it!)
linoleum
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linoleum »

No change after the last instructions you asked me to try, JeremyB. But it appears that I'm now in a worse state than when I started, lol. Bluetooth still doesn't work and thinks my computer belongs to 'Bastien' and it is no longer looking for devices (it's stalled/frozen). Who/what is this 'Bastien'?

I've had a longer look at skomo's Skomo's link and, using the BCM.hcp file he compiled for the HP notebook (Thanks skomo), I think I have to follow Skomo's AskUbunto instructions from paragraph 6. Here goes.
Last edited by linoleum on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The only difference between kernels and the firmware is what the firmware needs to be named in /lib/firmware/brcm. Your firmware needs to be /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM.hcd

Bastien is one of the dev's working on Bluez and there are some placeholder info in the source code that shows up when bluetooth devices aren't working. The problem is with the kernels hardware support and different developers.

You can delete the firmware file you have now and reboot to get rid of Bastien's Computer

Code: Select all

sudo rm /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM.hcd
linoleum
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linoleum »

Thanks skomo. That worked for me too. And thanks for your BCM.hcp file too; it would have taken me ages to compile that.

Return to “Networking”