No wifi after installing linux

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leriander

Re: No wifi after installing linux

Post by leriander »

Damn how stupid I was....... I should type it in my language, however when I type this code nothing happens (tried 2 times)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

No response from terminal might mean it worked

Code: Select all

locate ucode5.fw
If one result shows /lib/firmware/b43, reboot and wifi should work
leriander

Post by leriander »

Unfortunately it's same as it was
/home/tytko/Pulpit/b43/ucode5.fw
leriander

Post by leriander »

I checked by myself library>firmware>b43 and there is ucode5.fw however there is also b34 in firmware folder
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It might still be the language barrier, go into file manager, the go to desktop, right click and choose "open in terminal" then try

sudo cp b43/* /lib/firmware/b43/
Then see if the locate command finds that file elsewhere
What is the results for

ls /lib/firmware/b34
leriander

Post by leriander »

I don't know what you exactly mean? I clicked on folder in library opened in terminal and then typed this is it right?

As for:
ls /lib/firmware/b34 it says nothing.

I changed language for us english however after typing in terminal it was still named as "pulpit" not "desktop", maybe I should reboot after language change?
leriander

Post by leriander »

Btw I can even reinstall linux as clear english if it might help :D When wifi is gonna work I can always change it for polish.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Open Pulpit in the file manager, then right click on an open space and open in terminal then run

sudo cp b43/* /lib/firmware/b43/
leriander

Post by leriander »

Nothing
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

This is the option I hate to use. In the file manager, right click, open as root, go to home, your user, Pulpit/b43, you should see some ucode files and others, use CTRL + a to select all, then CTRL + c to copy. Then go into file system and find /lib/firmware/b43 and use CTRL + v to paste. Hopefully it works
leriander

Post by leriander »

K I've done it right. I copied this however in this folder there were all files O.o
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I hope it worked because I was about to refer you to viewforum.php?f=66 and hope someone that posts there could provide better instructions
leriander

Post by leriander »

Yay :D It works! Thank you such much for your time and patience!
AtlMikey

Post by AtlMikey »

I am working on a Dell 6320 laptop. Installed Mint 17.2 and now all my network connections (bottom Right on the panel) have red Xs thru them and I cannot find anyway to get @ this mess??
I'm new to Mint.
Thanx
Mike
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

leriander wrote:Yay :D It works! Thank you such much for your time and patience!
Bookmark this thread then, because after the next kernel update, it will likely fail again, and with Meltdown and Spectre, there WILL be necessary new kernel updates to install.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Mohawke

Post by Mohawke »

Insert bootable Mint USB or DVD, the one you installed from. Open driver manager. You should see your WiFi driver. Install it ignoring the bad messages. Reboot.

Return to “Networking”