<SOLVED> WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
PinkWolfFenrir
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:17 pm

<SOLVED> WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by PinkWolfFenrir » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:15 pm

/********EDIT: I uninstalled the drivers and just reinstalled them again. You may have to do this after every kernel update.********/


After the latest kernel update my WiFi isn't working. Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, the laptop is HP Probook 470 G1. When I first installed the OS WiFi wasn't working until I downloaded drivers from this link: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1796

I tried repeating the process after I noticed I no longer have WiFi but no joy. I get this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

 alan@alan-HP-ProBook-470-G1 ~/Downloads/MT7630E-release $ sudo ./install
make -C /lib/modules/4.13.0-26-generic/build M=/home/alan/Downloads/MT7630E-release/rt2x00 modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-26-generic'
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
/home/alan/Downloads/MT7630E-release/rt2x00/mt7630e.o: Invalid argument
scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: recipe for target '__modpost' failed
make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
Makefile:1553: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-26-generic'
Makefile:9: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Code: Select all

alan@alan-HP-ProBook-470-G1 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: alan-HP-ProBook-470-G1 Kernel: 4.13.0-26-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP ProBook 470 G1 v: A3008CD10003
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1940 v: KBC Version 89.10
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: L74 Ver. 01.08 date: 02/13/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4000M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9578
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 2394 MHz 2: 2394 MHz 3: 2394 MHz
           4: 2394 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-26-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: MEDIATEK MT7630e 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
           bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (6.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS545050A7 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 455G used: 26G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0C mobo: 0.0C gpu: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 184 Uptime: 3:46 Memory: 1537.2/3826.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by PinkWolfFenrir on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mckemie
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by mckemie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 am

I, too, just encountered this or a similar problem. I did an "upgrade" from 18.1 (I think) Cinnamon to whatever was current 1/10/18. After the "upgrade", my system info tells me:
18.2 cinnamon 64
4.4.0-109-generic
AMD A6-4400M
Radeon HD 7520G
7.3 Gib
299.8 gb

I THINK this is a HP ProBook4545s .

I have no network connections, either wifi or wired, and can't figure out how to get even wired to work; the little networking icon gives me no connections. Typically, I see an available wired connection as well as local wifi IDs. Also, Cinnamon complains of no graphics acceleration.

I am downloading 18.3 with hopes of getting things working from that live DVD. But, I need guidance.

I've been running Mints, relatively trouble free for many years on several laptops.

JeremyB
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by JeremyB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:52 am

PinkWolfFenrir wrote:After the latest kernel update my WiFi isn't working. Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, the laptop is HP Probook 470 G1. When I first installed the OS WiFi wasn't working until I downloaded drivers from this link: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1796

I tried repeating the process after I noticed I no longer have WiFi but no joy. I get this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

 alan@alan-HP-ProBook-470-G1 ~/Downloads/MT7630E-release $ sudo ./install
make -C /lib/modules/4.13.0-26-generic/build M=/home/alan/Downloads/MT7630E-release/rt2x00 modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-26-generic'
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
/home/alan/Downloads/MT7630E-release/rt2x00/mt7630e.o: Invalid argument
scripts/Makefile.modpost:91: recipe for target '__modpost' failed
make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
Makefile:1553: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-26-generic'
Makefile:9: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Code: Select all

alan@alan-HP-ProBook-470-G1 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: alan-HP-ProBook-470-G1 Kernel: 4.13.0-26-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP ProBook 470 G1 v: A3008CD10003
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1940 v: KBC Version 89.10
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: L74 Ver. 01.08 date: 02/13/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4000M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9578
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 2394 MHz 2: 2394 MHz 3: 2394 MHz
           4: 2394 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-26-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: MEDIATEK MT7630e 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
           bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (6.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS545050A7 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 455G used: 26G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0C mobo: 0.0C gpu: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 184 Uptime: 3:46 Memory: 1537.2/3826.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

Thanks in advance.
I would install the newest 4.4 kernel and then reboot into it and see if the source code will compile. There were a couple complaints about the code not working in 4.13

enamelclad
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am

Re: WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by enamelclad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm

I've the same problem, after update no longer able to connect to wifi, is there a fix?
Have tried entering in Terminal: echo "options rtl8188ee swenc=Y ips=N" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8188ee.conf as a fix and rebooting with no avail.

My Computer Information:

Code: Select all

 enamelclad@enamelclad-Latitude-D830 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: enamelclad-Latitude-D830 Kernel: 4.4.0-109-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.4) 
           Desktop: MATE 1.10.2  Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude D830
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN341 Bios: Dell version: A11 date: 04/03/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7250 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7980.4 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k4.4.0-109-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY bus-ID: 0c:00.0
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
           Card-2: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3 ver: 3.137 bus-ID: 09:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (24.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54251 size: 120.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 108G used: 28G (27%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.13GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 170 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 610.0/2004.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
enamelclad@enamelclad-Latitude-D830 ~ $ rfkill list all
0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

enamelclad@enamelclad-Latitude-D830 ~ $ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

enamelclad@enamelclad-Latitude-D830 ~ $ inxi -Nn

Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Card-2: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:21:70:6f:29:52

Sure hope someone out there can help, this is a pain! Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding [code] tags. They retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.

JeremyB
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by JeremyB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:09 pm

enamelclad wrote:I've the same problem, after update no longer able to connect to wifi, is there a fix?
Have tried entering in Terminal: echo "options rtl8188ee swenc=Y ips=N" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8188ee.conf as a fix and rebooting with no avail.

My Computer Information:

Code: Select all

 enamelclad@enamelclad-Latitude-D830 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: enamelclad-Latitude-D830 Kernel: 4.4.0-109-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.4) 
           Desktop: MATE 1.10.2  Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude D830
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN341 Bios: Dell version: A11 date: 04/03/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7250 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7980.4 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k4.4.0-109-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY bus-ID: 0c:00.0
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
           Card-2: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3 ver: 3.137 bus-ID: 09:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (24.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54251 size: 120.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 108G used: 28G (27%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.13GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 170 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 610.0/2004.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
enamelclad@enamelclad-Latitude-D830 ~ $ rfkill list all
0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

enamelclad@enamelclad-Latitude-D830 ~ $ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

enamelclad@enamelclad-Latitude-D830 ~ $ inxi -Nn

Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Card-2: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:21:70:6f:29:52

Sure hope someone out there can help, this is a pain! Thanks in advance.
In terminal do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
Reboot

mckemie
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by mckemie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 pm

JeremyB may have wired internet access. I do not. Which makes "apt-get install" quite a challenge :-)

JeremyB
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by JeremyB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:21 pm

mckemie wrote:JeremyB may have wired internet access. I do not. Which makes "apt-get install" quite a challenge :-)
Try booting into the old kernel to supply results for

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

mckemie
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by mckemie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:36 pm

I was pleased to find the place where I could boot other kernels! The GRUB menu, perhaps. The troublesome kernel seems to be 4.4.0-109. I think I'm willing to live with the apparently working 4.4.0-108. How might I remove the troublesome one so it doesn't get inadvertently booted?
Thanks!

code: select all
willie@willie-HP-ProBook-4545s ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: willie-HP-ProBook-4545s Kernel: 4.4.0-108-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP ProBook 4545s v: A1009812
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 17ED v: KBC Version 54.20
Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CPD Ver. F.61 date: 07/22/2015
CPU: Dual core AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 10780
clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2000 MHz 2: 2400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7520G]
bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.03hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-108-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Ralink Device 539a
driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlo1 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (23.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS725032A7 size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 286G used: 62G (23%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 54.8C mobo: 0.0C gpu: 53.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 201 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 1743.4/7427.9MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
willie@willie-HP-ProBook-4545s ~ $

User avatar
Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 pm
Location: Ozone

Re: WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by Joe2Shoe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm

mckemie wrote:JeremyB may have wired internet access. I do not. Which makes "apt-get install" quite a challenge :-)
That's why I always keep a USB WiFi Adapter that works on Linux handy (no external drivers needed).
TP-Link TL-WN722N WiFi High-Gain v1 USB Adapter works in Linux.
v2 does not work in Linux, only in Winblows.
v1 is hard to find these days.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

JeremyB
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: <SOLVED> WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by JeremyB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:54 pm

The WN722N version 2 can work in Linux, source code on github and it might work in the newer kernels

JeremyB
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by JeremyB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:02 pm

mckemie wrote:I was pleased to find the place where I could boot other kernels! The GRUB menu, perhaps. The troublesome kernel seems to be 4.4.0-109. I think I'm willing to live with the apparently working 4.4.0-108. How might I remove the troublesome one so it doesn't get inadvertently booted?
Thanks!

code: select all
willie@willie-HP-ProBook-4545s ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: willie-HP-ProBook-4545s Kernel: 4.4.0-108-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP ProBook 4545s v: A1009812
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 17ED v: KBC Version 54.20
Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CPD Ver. F.61 date: 07/22/2015
CPU: Dual core AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 10780
clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2000 MHz 2: 2400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7520G]
bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.03hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-108-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Ralink Device 539a
driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlo1 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (23.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS725032A7 size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 286G used: 62G (23%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 54.8C mobo: 0.0C gpu: 53.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 201 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 1743.4/7427.9MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
willie@willie-HP-ProBook-4545s ~ $
You can use the Update Manager to remove kernels also. But with using that kernel module try

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
Then boot into the 109 kernel and see if it works

mckemie
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: <SOLVED> WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by mckemie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:04 pm

VERY good suggestion from Joe2Shoes! I had already decided to try USB x wifi adapters and ordered several since they are very cheap. Highest hopes are for a Atheros AR9271.

I just tried:
sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
from JeremyB. It seems to have worked. I have given up on the 109 kernel and fallen back to 108 which had worked for me for a long while. I imagine this kind of thing will return if I again make the mistake of doing an "upgrade" in the future.

A bit of history: The wifi on this thing has always been troublesome. It would quit working every few hours. Fix was to just stop and restart wifi through the network managing icon. Then, the upgrade screwed me up so horribly. Fell back to the 108 kernel which worked poorly. I installed the alternate driver as JermeyB detailed. Then, I was back to previous condition except that wifi quit working every few minutes rather than every few hours. I have some hope the above powersave fix has alleviated that problem.

I thought I had gotten rid of the potential to boot the 109 kernel by editing the Grub2 menu. Not so. The default boot is still to the 109 (apparently) though the 109 no longer appears in the Grub menu. Will try JermeyB's suggestion on getting rid of old kernels.

Thanks again for the help!

User avatar
Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 pm
Location: Ozone

Re: <SOLVED> WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by Joe2Shoe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm

The TP-Link TL-WN722N v1 has the Atheros AR9271 chip. I saw some on ebay for around $25.00 including S/H.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

mckemie
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: <SOLVED> WiFi isn't working after updating the latest Kernel update.

Post by mckemie » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 pm

mckemie wrote: I installed the alternate driver as JermeyB detailed. Then, I was back to previous condition except that wifi quit working every few minutes rather than every few hours. I have some hope the above powersave fix has alleviated that problem.
An update.
I was unable to get the wifi on the HP laptop to work reliably under any conditions with my Mint install. That wifi comes up labeled "Ralink corp Family 15h" under the network icon. I eventually tested three USB wifi adapters:
1) ATHEROS UB93 (over $30 on eBay) worked well
https://goo.gl/oAuzQw
2) A dual band adapter, advertising Ubuntu compatibility came with a CD which I did not mess with. It failed to create an network entry.
https://goo.gl/uDK8tD
3) Another eBay find came up labeled "MediaTek 802.11n WLAN" and worked well.
https://goo.gl/TDWuXq
Less than $2 each. I bought two. Shipped out of China, they took several weeks to arrive.

Post Reply

Return to “Wireless”