Kernel 4.13.0-26 killed my CIFS mount

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pvanryn

Kernel 4.13.0-26 killed my CIFS mount

Post by pvanryn »

hey all,

Recently upgraded to Kernel 4.13.0-26-generic x86_64 to (partially) mitigate the Spectre / meltdown threat. Upon reboot, I can no longer mount my CIFS drive from the command line. I get
mount error(112): Host is down
even though the host isn't down.

I can still see the drive in my networked drives, and copy files, I just can't attach it to a mount point. If I reboot with the old kernel, everything is fine. I hate to leave my system vulnerable, is there anything else I can try? I have two other mint systems with the old kernel, and they mount the drive w/o any problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Kernel 4.13.0-26 killed my CIFS mount

Post by vimes666 »

This is because the new kernel uses SMB 3.0 as default. This used to be SMB 1.0.
Your server is obviously able to speak SMB 1.0, but no SMB 3.0.
This can be corrected by upgrading your server to SMB 3.0 or
by forcing SMB 1.0 or (2.0 may also work) in your cifs mount statement in fstab, add option vers=1.0.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would strongly suggest using the 4.4 kernels as they will get security patches for another 3 years
Innz

Post by Innz »

vimes666 wrote:This is because the new kernel uses SMB 3.0 as default. This used to be SMB 1.0.
by forcing SMB 1.0 or (2.0 may also work) in your cifs mount statement in fstab, add option vers=1.0.
Awesome you just saved my skin!
pvanryn

Post by pvanryn »

vimes666 wrote:This is because the new kernel uses SMB 3.0 as default. This used to be SMB 1.0.
Thank you for the help! :D

Return to “Networking”