WIFi disappeared after kernel upgrade to 4.13.0-26-generic

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveC49
Level 2
Level 2

WIFi disappeared after kernel upgrade to 4.13.0-26-generic

Post by DaveC49 »

I am having similar problems with WiFi on a desktop with a Netgear A6100 usb Wireless adapter after updating the kernel to 4.13.0-26-generic. This adapter uses the Realtek 8811au chipset ( see wireless-info.txt attached ).
I initially tried recompiling and reinstalling the driver I had previously used rtl8812au version 4.3.14 (https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU) but received compile errors which had not previously appeared. I tried several fixes (https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU/issues/75) for this but came to the conclusion that this repository had not been up dated for quite a while. I also tried v 4.3.22-beta from the same repository with no improvement and the same errors (Warnings about implicit declarations). After scratching around I came upon more recent Linux versiond of the Realtek rtl8812au drivers (https://github.com/zebulon2/rtl8812au-driver-5.2.9) and tried installing these using dkms (instructions used to install are in the attached file rt8812au-driverforumPost.txt.tar.gz.) No compilation errors and the driver seems to have installed ok. (see wireless-info.tar.gz). The iwconfig output contains no references to a wireless device only eht0, eth1 (hard wired ethernet interfaces currently being used) and lo and similarly the network manager information for eth1 , eth0, ttyACMO. The Nm state was:
NetworkingEnabled=true
WirelessEnabled=true
WWANEnabled=true
WimaxEnabled=true.

There was no wlan0 anywhere.

The Network Manager profiles contained entries from my previous connections to the WIFi.
The module information and module parameters look OK to me but I am probably kidding myself if i think I could detect an incorrect value
The udev rules list wlan0 which is the device my adapter previously appeared as. There is no response if I plug and unplug the adapter.
$ dmesg |grep 8812 gives
[ 20.713764] 8812au: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[ 20.714674] 8812au: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[ 20.716674] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8812au

Not sure if this means that the 4.13.0-26 kernel will not load the module or not. Checking the kernel .configfile in/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-26-generic, it is set to sign all modules on installation during build but CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_FORCE is not set which indicates that unsigned modules will load but mark the kernel and modules as tainted so it would appear that the module is loading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: WIFi disappeared after kernel upgrade to 4.13.0-26-generic

Post by Spearmint2 »

the 8812 mod is not recognizing the 8811 device. You are probably going to have this problem every kernel change. I got one of these and never have a problem with kernel changes, it just works, all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6 ... UTF8&psc=1
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
DaveC49
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DaveC49 »

Thanks Spearmint,

Unfortunately I need a dual band 802.11ac compatible dongle which generally means the rtl8811au chipset. The rtl8812au driver should recognise the rtl8811au chipset according to Realtek. I guess the problem is whether that compatability is maintained in the various repositories supporting the rtl8812au driver. I have previously had it working ok. KALI Linux has recently released an rtl8812au dkms driver which I found this morning and as the latest release of KALI is based on the 4.13 kernel I stand a chance. I will try it tonight with the 4.13.0-26 kernel when I get home and see how it goes. :)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would go back to the 4.4.0 kernels as you shouldn't have any more issues compiling the source code either manually or with dkms
dimic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimic »

Hi,
this is no direct reply to your post, but a comment to the subject "WiFi problems with kernel 4.13.0-26".

I also have updated to kernel 4.13.0-26 because of the Meltdown/Spectre security advise.
With my Asus Vivobook, WiFi works fine after the kernel upgrade.
The difference: i have got a different WLAN adapter (good luck),

So just for documentation:
Asus VivoBook S510U
Intel 8086-24fd WLAN adapter
kernel module iwlwifi
firmware version 31.560484.0
Intel Microcode Version 3.20180108.0
Linux 18.3 Cinnamon
Kernel 4.13.0-26-generic
=> WiFi works fine with this configuration

BTW, i also had WLAN connectivity problems after installing Mint 18.3, but this
turned out as a router firmware problem. With fresh firmware no problems.

Best Greetings, Dieter
DaveC49
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DaveC49 »

Hi Dieter,

I too have a laptop (ASUS) which upgraded to the 4.13.0.-26 kernel without any problems. It has an inbuilt asus_wireless driver module which had no problem with the kernel change. It is only my desktop (older AMD setup) which has a Netgear A6100/AC600 dual band 802.11ac USB adapter using the rtl8811au chipset. My WiFi router runs the dual band 802.11ac and my LAN seems to be faster on the 5 Mhz than 2.4 MHz but that just may be a reflection of more interference on the 2.4Mhz from other local WiFi setups. I am seeing more 5 MHz modems arond now than I did initially. My desktop was working on the previous 4.10.0-42, 4.10.0-40, 4.10.0-38 kernels without any problems and prior to that 4.4.0-101. I may take Jeremy's advice and revert to the most recent one of those which works, until someone with a bit more knowledge of drivers sorts it out. It seems to be specific wifi adapter chipsets which run into the compile problems. I have flagged it as an issue on most of the repos that I tried for the rtl8812au driver. I gather the 4.4 kernels have been patched for the Intel vulnerability. I remember seeing an Ubuntu site which listed which kernels had been patched so I will go back to one which has been patched.

Cheers
David
Divo

Post by Divo »

Hi,

I have the same problem with driver compilation on any kernel above 4.10.
I've tried to fix the compilation errors with no success. It appears that there have been kernel changes made in kernel 4.11 that impact driver functions.
I tried to find solution to that but its way to complex for me.
I just hope someone smart has a look at it soon but this WIFI adaptor isn't very well supported judging what I've seen so far so I won't hold my breath.
I apologise if what I said doesn't make sense, I'm not a native English speaker.
Draknof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Draknof »

Hello, I have the same problem with why dual band dongle using the driver 8812AU. It used to work on kernel 4.4.

Has anyone found any fix?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Download from http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/u ... u7_all.deb
Double click to install, then reboot
DHBlake

Post by DHBlake »

Whoever found this, thank you very much. Description matches exactly my problem. Installing this driver fixed it. Glad to have my high speed adapter working again. :D
julramos

Post by julramos »

I had the same problem, updated the kernel and the wifi icon desappeared. I fixed it by connecting a internet cable, opening the driver manager and choosing any other driver than the one that was being used (the recommended). After I restarted the computer it was working.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Ran into this after recent updates (don't know of which exactly, perhaps intel-microcode 3.20180425.

Not only wlan0 interface disappeared, but also Enable/Disable WiFi (in NM-Applet).

I tried downgrading an older package, didn't help.

Then I discovered that I didn't have the latest kernel. That's really weird - Mint 18 somehow didn't download latest kernel updates. But if you apt-cache search'd for Linux kernel, you could grep newer versions in the output. However apt-get upgrade wouldn't try to install them.

So I manually entered one of newer 4.13 versions and it was installed, but after this upgrade it still didn't work. Then I looked at the latest version, got that (4.15.0-29-generic at this time), and rebooted. Now my wlan0 is back again. I again updated intel-microcode to 3.20180425 - no issues.

Return to “Networking”