wifi, kernel upgrade, ndiswrapper, dkms, etc.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

wifi, kernel upgrade, ndiswrapper, dkms, etc.

Post by jimallyn »

I installed Mint 17.x, probably Cinnamon, on my sister's computer a couple years ago. I had to use NDISwrapper with the WinXP driver to get her USB wifi adapter working. With the CPU problems recently revealed, I decided she should probably update her kernel, and I talked her through it over the phone. (She lives about 165 miles from here.) And that's when wifi stopped working. I gather that NDISwrapper will need to be recompiled? I see that there is a ndiswrapper-dkms package available. So, I'm guessing that she will have to install the ndiswrapper-dkms package, run that to compile NDISwrapper for the new kernel, and then what? I have a rough idea of what all this stuff does, but I'm not sure I know how to put it all together to get her wifi working again. Can anybody clarify this for me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: wifi, kernel upgrade, ndiswrapper, dkms, etc.

Post by Laurent85 »

My guess is ndiswrapper not compatible with new kernel, ndiswrapper-dkms already installed and module compilation for new kernel fails. Did you install latest kernel available in same series of running kernel ?
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

It may be easier in the long run to simpley buy a new usb dongle that will work with linux drivers.
here are some possibilities: http://willhaley.com/blog/linux-usb-wifi/
also unless she deleted the old kernel it should still be available until you can get the new ndiswrapper fixed.
good luck.
Last edited by kc1di on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

All my fault as it turns out. I made the mistake of telling her to go ahead and update to the 4.4 kernel as long as she's installing a new kernel. I have installed it on all my 17.x installs, and had no problems. But then, I wasn't using ndiswrapper or anything else that would need to be recompiled. So, I told her to boot into the original kernel, remove the 4.4 kernel, install the 3.13.0-139 kernel and reboot. I should hear from her tomorrow about how that kernel is working. Also, she said her wifi gadget never did work all that well, and she's going to buy a new one anyway.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Networking”