Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mrjimphelps
Level 1
Level 1

Canon wireless printing/scanning

Post by mrjimphelps » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:11 am

I have a Canon MX490 Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax. If you want to connect it to the network, the only option is wifi for this printer.

In my experience, when going through the install procedure for Canon printers/scanners, I have not been able to get them to connect unless I used the USB method to connect them to the network -- that is, you plug in the USB cable, the printer links up with the network, then you remove the USB cable. Once you do all of that, they work flawlessly as wifi network printers.

Problem is, there's no such USB method in Linux Mint for connecting them to the network. Consequently, I have had a heck of a time (that is, no success) when I have tried the install the printer first on a Linux Mint computer.

Here's the workaround I have found: Do the install first on a Windows computer. Once you have used the USB method to connect it to the network from a Windows computer, the printer will now be communicating with the router. You will now be able to easily install (add) the printer as a network printer on your Linux Mint computer, because your Linux Mint computer will now be able to find the printer on the network. But if you don't first establish a wireless connection between the router and the printer, you may not be able to find it when doing the install from your Linux Mint computer.

You may be thinking, "I have a Windows virtual machine installed on my Linux Mint computer. I can install the printer in the VM first, and then in the Linux Mint host." I tried that, but I couldn't get it to install in the VM. Perhaps because communication with the VM has to go through the Linux Mint "gateway" to get to the outside world.

Anyway, I wanted to share my trick for installing a wireless Canon network printer on your Linux Mint machine.

Return to “Wireless”