Canon wireless printing/scanning

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrjimphelps

Canon wireless printing/scanning

Post by mrjimphelps »

I have a Canon MX490 Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax. If you want to connect it to the network, the only option is wifi for this printer.

In my experience, when going through the install procedure for Canon printers/scanners, I have not been able to get them to connect unless I used the USB method to connect them to the network -- that is, you plug in the USB cable, the printer links up with the network, then you remove the USB cable. Once you do all of that, they work flawlessly as wifi network printers.

Problem is, there's no such USB method in Linux Mint for connecting them to the network. Consequently, I have had a heck of a time (that is, no success) when I have tried the install the printer first on a Linux Mint computer.

Here's the workaround I have found: Do the install first on a Windows computer. Once you have used the USB method to connect it to the network from a Windows computer, the printer will now be communicating with the router. You will now be able to easily install (add) the printer as a network printer on your Linux Mint computer, because your Linux Mint computer will now be able to find the printer on the network. But if you don't first establish a wireless connection between the router and the printer, you may not be able to find it when doing the install from your Linux Mint computer.

You may be thinking, "I have a Windows virtual machine installed on my Linux Mint computer. I can install the printer in the VM first, and then in the Linux Mint host." I tried that, but I couldn't get it to install in the VM. Perhaps because communication with the VM has to go through the Linux Mint "gateway" to get to the outside world.

Anyway, I wanted to share my trick for installing a wireless Canon network printer on your Linux Mint machine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bill_35
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Canon wireless printing/scanning

Post by Bill_35 »

Thanks!! - But how do you, via wifi, "Search" the network for the printer and set LinuxMint thence to print via wifi? (LinuxMint 19.2; Canon MX922)
[running Linux Mint 19.3 cinnamon amd64 on HP ENVY x360-15-u483cl laptop with Intel i7]
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Canon is not the only printer brand with that issue.

Lexmark is another one.
the only way to set it up for WiFi is to use their Windows based USB software.

Same goes for my Samsung ML-1865 wireless laser printer...
the Win7 pc won't talk to it unless it is on a USB cable, but Linux can print to it thru WiFi once it is setup.
again, no way to make that printer work, w/o Windows PC.
does NOT have a user panel, it is a Black Box
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Just as a note for those that have not yet purchased a printer. If you plan to do so, buy a Brother printer. I have an MFC 9130 CW multi-function device. I just turned it on and it is WiFi enabled. It's on the network and is available to all of the computers in my house. I didn't need to do anything else. I installed Mint 19.2 on this laptop and I did not install any printer driver. The printer just showed up in the task bar and I can print to it fine.

Brother wireless printer and Mint 19.x work perfectly together.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

CaptainKirksChair wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:20 pm a Brother printer. I have an MFC 9130 CW multi-function device. I just turned it on and it is WiFi enabled.
Did the instant wifi capability include wireless scanning? I don't need another printer but the information may be useful to others.
Cliff Coggin
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

just an FYI,, Angry IP Scanner is a terrific tool, and free.

with it, I can tell immediately if a printer that suddenly quits working, is a Linux problem, or the printer just decided to go to sleep.

I had this happen just this morning, my Epson ET-2550 which has been 'online' for weeks, went to sleep.

I brought up https://angryip.org/ and scanned the WiFi list, alas, no Epson to be seen.

Pulled the A/C plug from the wall socket, plugged it back in, and wallah! it shows up again.

epson.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Networking”