Can't connect to college wifi(captive portal)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
splinuxmint

Can't connect to college wifi(captive portal)

Post by splinuxmint »

Dual Boot :-Windows 10- College Wi-Fi get connected and firefox open quickly for sign in to captive portal..
:-Linux Mint :- College Wifi don't connect.If I try to manually enter IP in firefox ,It can't access that webpage,too.
Tried some solutions that didn't work for me.
Linux Mint can connect to my mobile's hotspot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Can't connect to college wifi(captive portal)

Post by Moem »

splinuxmint wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:33 pm Tried some solutions that didn't work for me.
What were they? I'm asking so people don't waste their time by typing them down again.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
splinuxmint

Post by splinuxmint »

Moem wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:43 pm
splinuxmint wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:33 pm Tried some solutions that didn't work for me.
What were they? I'm asking so people don't waste their time by typing them down again.
Solutions that I've tried:-
viewtopic.php?t=212368

1)To fix this, with root privileges edit the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and comment out the line dns=dnsmasq: that is, put a # at the beginning of the line. Save the file. Then restart network-manager.

Code: Select all

sudo service network-manager restart
Then reconnect to the Wi-Fi network.Ref:-https://askubuntu.com/questions/228351/ ... 155#872155
2)I had the same problem with Ubuntu 16.04. The hint to solving this was when I ran

sudo dhclient
and got the following message: /etc/resolvconf/update.d/libc: Warning: /etc/resolv.conf is not a symbolic link to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

The steps I took after that were from here: Resolvconf -u gives the error "resolvconf: Error: /etc/resolv.conf must be a symlink"

That is, running these steps solved the problem:

sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
sudo ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
sudo resolvconf -u
Ref:-https://askubuntu.com/questions/228351/ ... 155#872155
cp21

Post by cp21 »

Hi,
I also have more or less same problem.. In Institute hostel we have a open unsecured network available. In windows I have to do nothing.. just select connect.. it gets connected.. no captive portal. Same in android phone also. But in Mint it shows it gets connected but no page will open. Otherwise if I connect to secured networks it connects pretty fine.. any solution to this?

I tried the above ones but of no help..

Return to “Networking”