[SOLVED] Wifi throughput better on virtual client?!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Smakodak

[SOLVED] Wifi throughput better on virtual client?!

Post by Smakodak »

I recently changed my operating system on this laptop that I'm writing on (Asus Zenbook UX32VD) from Windows 10 to Mint Sylvia Cinnamon. I'm overall happy. One thing that's been puzzling me though, is that my wifi throughput is considerably lower. I pay for 100/25 Mbit/s and usually get around 110/29 Mbit/s. I have installed Windows 10 (1709) as a client on Virtualbox 5.2.8 r121009 on the very same machine. Can anyone come up with an explanation to why the results are better from the virtual client than the ones done directly on the host? Needless to say I did numerous tests, and when testing had nothing else running besides the browser in question. In addition, all browsers were based on a clean profile, and had no add-ons installed. And of course I did the tests against the same server.

Firefox 58.0.2 (64-bit) on host

Epiphany 3.18.11 on host

Firefox 58.0.2 (64-bit) on Windows 10 virtual client

UX32VD ~ $ speedtest-cli --server 14014
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from Hiper A/S (80.210.64.121)...
Hosted by Hiper A/S (Copenhagen) [1.30 km]: 75.281 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 50.63 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 27.78 Mbit/s
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Smakodak

Re: Wifi throughput better on virtual client?!

Post by Smakodak »

Alright, nailed it :D
Probably should have posted this in the newbie section :oops:

Did as described here: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ss-chipset

After that: :D

Return to “Networking”