Mint 18.3 xfce: problem setting up WiFi connection pc to router

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
.William.

Mint 18.3 xfce: problem setting up WiFi connection pc to router

Post by .William. »

Code: Select all

Linux mint 18.3 xfce
CPU dual core intel pentium t2330 
kernel 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64
Qualcomm Atheros AR242x/AR542x Wireless Network Adapter 

After upgrading to Mint 18.3 xfce I can’t connect to my router from my laptop. I know the router is functional since I can connect from my smartphone. On my laptop the WiFi SSID is visible. I verified the password (WPA2 personal) to be correct. DHCP is set on auto. The Wireless LAN is not hard blocked or soft blocked according to ‘rfkill list all’.

This is as much as I know.

[EDIT]

I'm attaching the output from: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... 55, llua.)
wireless-info.tar.gz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 18.3 xfce: problem setting up WiFi connection pc to router

Post by JeremyB »

See if wifi will connect with UFW disabled. If you control the wifi router change encryption to WPA2 with AES/CCMP
Since you said you upgraded to 18.3, see if using an older kernel at boot fixes the issue
.William.

Post by .William. »

UFW disabled didn't help any.

Won't using an old kernel make my pc more vulnerable for malware etc?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The 4.4 kernel is Long Term Support and receives security updates. It is only older than 4.13 because of the hardware it will support. I have noticed that the signal strength on my Lenovo laptop is less using 4.13 than it is with 4.4 using my internal wifi card so I keep using 4.4 as it is supported for 3 more years

Return to “Networking”