Slow WiFi on an HP Stream [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Doctor Funkenstein

Slow WiFi on an HP Stream [SOLVED]

Post by Doctor Funkenstein »

Hello all,

I installed Mint on a scummy laptop an old roommate left behind. The problem is that the wifi is slow on that device, and with poor range, while other devices (even cheap ones like my Chromebook) have full-speed internet.

The version of Mint is a fresh install of the 64 bit version of 18.3. The 64 bit thing may be the problem as the Stream has fairly low specs, and may be 32 bit. The processor is a 1.6GHz Intel Celeron N3060 and the machine only has 2 GB ram (but again, so does my Chromebook). What do you think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Doctor Funkenstein

Re: Slow WiFi on an HP Stream

Another thing: The Stream has no Ethernet port, so I can't try to run a wired connection with my modem.

Edit: Also, I was able to install all the updates, albeit slowly!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Post results from terminal for

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
Doctor Funkenstein

Code: Select all

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:b723]
	DeviceName: Foxconn WLAN Realtek Sanji RTL8723BE bgn 1x1 + BT 4 LE PCIe+USB NGFF 2230 M.2 WW
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [103c:804c]
	Kernel driver in use: rtl8723be
	Kernel modules: rtl8723be
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Doctor Funkenstein

Good going Jeremy, and thanks! I will mark this topic as solved.

Return to “Networking”