Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Network Manager not using VPN

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 pm

I just went through a Helpdesk session with PureVPN and got my VPN profile set up.

PureVPN setup.png
and it shows here in the overall network page

Network Setup okay.png
and here:
VPN Connections Made.png
VPN Connections Made.png (23.1 KiB) Viewed 2074 times

But, when I try to access the web, there is 'no connection"
I can turn off VPN and then the web is available thru the Wireless connection.

what is missing in my setup, the VPN profile is obviously not being used.

Ignore the DirecTV WiFi receiver ID
Last edited by AZgl1500 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Re: VPN is not being used

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:33 am

Google found this link: https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to- ... e1a93d04f3

and I got down to where you are supposed to:

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

That should have been displayed as:

Code: Select all

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 8.8.8.8
but it displayed this instead, indicating the changes did not take effect:

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.1.1
search attlocal.net
There is one thing that seems to have changed, don’t know what, I did a Restart of Firefox as instructed, and now even though both the WiFi is working and the VPN is connected, I have Internet connection.... but:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

still shows my connection as being local:

My IP Address Is:
xxx.yyy.zzz
My IP Information:
ISP: AT&T U-verse
City: Oologah
Region: Oklahoma

It should show a PureVPN server address instead.

anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by AZgl1500 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Re: VPN is not being used

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:41 am

Carrying on with the above referenced website info:

it talks about:

Potential Issues

I did the steps, but the cat command only shows nameserver 127.0.1.1
Thanks to Dietmar and AnalyzeTrades for this issue/solution
Try commenting/removing dns=dnsmasq from /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

I did that change, but that did not help me.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Network Manager not using VPN

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Powered the laptop done for the night.

Today, decided to look at:

john@john-TP500LA ~ $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 172.111.136.3
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
search attlocal.net
john@john-TP500LA ~ $ 

and it has changed, although it is NOT QUITE what I entered.
The 2nd and 3rd lines are what I enter for position #1 and #2, and the 3rd position was supposed to be 8.8.8.8

IP Address: 172.111.136.3
does not resolve into anything for me, just see the "Waiting....." message.

and why the "search attlocal.net" ??
that should not be there, obviously Network Manager is not using the VPN to access the web.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:14 pm

I decided to forget PureVPN and follow the above link and use OpenVPN:
from their instructions:

After you extract the downloaded zip file, open your terminal again. Change to the directory where you extracted it, or right click and choose “Open in Terminal.” We have just a few more steps now.

4. Install OpenVPN to use the config.
this went okay.

sudo apt-get install openvpn

5. Close your browser and anything connected to the internet. ( I powered down and restarted laptop ) To use OpenVPN, enter the command below to run the config you want. Once it says “Initialization Complete,” you’re all set. You should keep the terminal open. If it fails, try a different VPN, or read the error and try to figure it out.

sudo openvpn vpnbook-ca1-tcp443.ovpn

Well, it failed, it did not get very far, came up with this error in Terminal and have no clue where to go.

$ sudo openvpn vpnbook-ca1-tcp443.ovpn
Options error: In [CMD-LINE]:1: Error opening configuration file: vpnbook-ca1-tcp443.ovpn
Use --help for more information.

vpnbook apparently is not compatible with Linux Mint....

I used Catfish file search and looked for "vpnbook-ca1-tcp443.ovpn" under FileSystem and that file was not created anywhere...

surely someone in the Mint 18.3 Cinnamon community has installed a VPN and made it work?

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:57 am

Hi AZgl1500,

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Sorry to see that you are having some difficulty getting your VPN server(s) up and running.

It is usually pretty easy to setup (import) your VPN connections, especially in Linux Mint 18.x. But, that can depend upon your VPN provider's (somewhere.ovpn) configuration files as well.

I do recommend using the superb secure "openVPN" software for connecting to any VPN provider's servers which is usually already installed in Linux Mint and the UDP configuration option. The one thing I do after installing Linux Mint is to update the "openVPN" software using their repository to a newer version because some of the VPN providers require it, reboot or restart afterward. I also recommend changing your default ISP's DNS server IP addresses to secure and anonymous DNS provider's server IP addresses for various good reasons and doing that also helps with any "DNS Leak" issues.

This link has instructions for updating the "openVPN" software
Is it possible to install the latest openvpn on 17.3 without breaking everything[SOLVED]
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=242583&hilit=openvpn

How to change Local ISP DNS Server IP addresses - Linux Mint/Cinnamon – OpenDNS
https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/ar ... t-Cinnamon

There are many good posts on VPN setup in this forum already, perhaps for the PureVPN provider as well, if you search for them.

FYI: "vpnbook" is a great free VPN provider, but they only have a few servers available worldwide, and they do not allow P2P or Torrent use, and you have to change their login password every week or two which is on their website (easy to do though). Paid for VPN providers are better to use, usually have no restrictions, and can even speed up your Internet.

How to Establish An OpenVPN Connection in Ubuntu
https://timwolverson.wordpress.com/2016 ... inux-mint/

How to Establish An OpenVPN Connection in Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux Mint 17.x)
- note in Linux Mint 18.x, the certificate and key files are automatically generated, yeah!
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... untu-1404/

Hope this helps ...
LinuxMint_KDE18x_Import_VPN_Server1.jpg
Linux Mint KDE Import VPN
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:02 pm

I tried to make OpenVPN work, but something went awry and it is not working for me yet.

phd21
I will read your post very thoroughly and go thru each step carefully.
I need this to work...

john@john-TP500LA ~ $ inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: john-TP500LA Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: TP500LA v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TP500LA v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: TP500LA.203 date: 06/11/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4030U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7582
           clock speeds: max: 1800 MHz 1: 1895 MHz 2: 1895 MHz 3: 1895 MHz
           4: 1895 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.1
           IF: enp2s0f1 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: MEDIATEK MT7630e 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: mt7630e v: 2.3.8
           bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0f0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (36.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABF0 size: 500.1GB
           Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 455G used: 166G (39%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2600
Info:      Processes: 235 Uptime: 3:27 Memory: 1897.2/3829.2MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
john@john-TP500LA ~ $ 

and:

john@john-TP500LA ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0457:10c1 Silicon Integrated Systems Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:57bc Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0e8d:763f MediaTek Inc. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
john@john-TP500LA ~ $ 

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi AZgl1500,

You are welcome...

I do not see anything wrong with the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" console terminal command, so that is a good thing.

I am not familiar with PureVPN's setup, so without their setup files, I cannot determine their requirements.

It took me about 60 seconds or less to "import a VPN" server connection and edit it using "vpnbook"s US2 files (but I am experienced in this). And I am using that right now.
  • You just download their VPN setup configuration archive file(s) for whichever VPN server locations that you are interested in connecting with, right-click the archive file, an extract here which creates a new configuration folder for that server location. I created a VPN folder underneath my "Documents" folder with subfolders for various VPN providers to store their configuration folders and files; I move these VPN folders and files from my Downloads folder to my "/Documents/vpn" folder.

Then I clicked or right-clicked the Network Manager icon in system tray panel and looked for "Configure Network Connections", "Edit Network Connections or Settings", or "Add New connections" (this varies depending on which edition and version of Linux Mint you use), then look for adding a new connection "Import VPN" option, then file browse to the folder with the VPN server that you want to create a connection with and its configuration file "somewhere.ovpn" (UDP), in my case for this "vpnbook" provider's US2 server, that folder is located here (~/Documents/vpn/vpnbook/VPNBook.com-OpenVPN-US2/) and there are two openVPN UDP setup configuration files in the folder to choose from, either one should work "vpnbook-us2-udp25000.ovpn" or "vpnbook-us2-udp53.ovpn". If the UDP setup files do not work, try the TCP ones.

In Linux Mint 18.x it should automatically come up and ask you to save the Certificate and Key files, say yes, click ok. The new VPN server connection should now be listed in your Network Manager's available network connections, but it needs to be edited to add your username and password or to choose (browse to) different certificate or key files, sometimes to change other advanced settings, so click that new server connection, and click edit (or double-click it), then it should come up with the edit VPN connection window, just enter your username and password, the private key password is usually blank; there are also password save options to the right of the password fields click the icon, click Apply, ok. After editing to make changes the new VPN server connection it is ready to use, just click the Network Manager icon and select a vpn server location connection to connect with.
I highly recommend going to the excellent website "www.ipleak.net" before making changes to see what your system default Public IP address and DNS server IP addresses are, then after making changes or connecting to a VPN server, to see that the Public IP address and DNS server IP addresses are now different from the Local ISP connection's default IP addresses are, like they should be.

Hope this helps ...
vpnbook_HomePage.jpg
vpnbook's home page with VPN server setup download links and username and password info
VPN_Folder.jpg
My VPN folder sample
VPN_ShowingConnected.jpg
Network Manager (NM) when clicked showing VPN Connected info
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Okay,
I like that import configuration, was easy to do, took me longer than 60 seconds :D
but got it done.

Now, here is the boner, and I am right back where I was with PureVPN, and OpenVPN.

With each of those, even though the VPN connection is showing "ON",
when I do an IP address detection with www.whatismyipaddress.com

and also with https://www.ipleak.net/

I get the same results, it is showing my home local AT&T ISP address.....
this is what I can't get to working. Why is the VPN showing connected, but it is not being used by the PC?

images deleted by request of Phil...
Last edited by AZgl1500 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi AZgl1500,

It took me a while to prepare and boot into a Cinnamon 18.3 system for this.

1.) Adding a VPN connection for Cinnamon users through the Network Manager (NM) is a little different from my KDE system.

First some quick instructions for adding a VPN server connection in Cinnamon 18.x:

Click the Network Manager Icon, click Network Connections, click Add button in the upper right of the Network Connections window, from the "Chose a Connection Type" pop-up window, click the select arrow and select "Import a saved VPN configuration" at the bottom, click "Create", the "Select file to import" window appears (Open file dialog box), browse to your VPN folder and to the VPN server configuration file (somewhere.ovpn) that you wan to use, click ok, the Edit VPN connection window automatically comes up, fill in your VPN login information username and password, the Private Key Password is not required, click Save, close any open Network Manager Network Connection windows, click the Network Manager icon in the system tray panel, and click the VPN server that you want to connect with, if it works, your system will show that.

Then, go to "www.ipleak.net" or a website like it to see if your new VPN connection is working properly.

2.) Once you have established a working connection to a VPN provider's server, then you must either refresh the webpages of your browser (ie: ipleak.net, whatismyipaddress.com, etc...) or what is recommended is to restart the browser(s).

3.) If you have not changed your local ISP's DNS servers, I recommend that you do, and restart.

I just added the "vpnbook" US2 VPN server location connection into my Cinnamon 18.3 and it worked perfectly. It is not uncommon (unfortunately) that a VPN provider's server connections may leak DNS server information. If you change your local ISP's DNS server IP addresses to secure and anonymous ones from a DNS provider, it will not matter, you will be secure and anonymous.

If you are having a problem with adding or connecting your PureVPN VPN servers, try "vpnbook", to make sure that your Cinnamon system is working. Then, we can try some other stuff regarding "PureVPN".

4.) It may also help if you change your Local ISP Connection's IPv4 and IPv6 settings when changing the Local ISP DNS servers. In some cases, disabling IPv6 will help as well, or may even be required.

Disable IPv6 if its not supported
See #2 & #3 to set priority to "IPv4" (I use #1, #2, or #3) I use at least 2 of these.
http://www.blackmoreops.com/2015/08/04/ ... -in-linux/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:20 pm

I already had the VPNBook setup, but I deleted it, and followed thru each of your screens.

I even changed the OpenVPN DNS addresses to match the ones you show in your pix.

Turned off the VPN, and back on.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/
still shows me as my local ISP office in Collinsville.

I logged into the AT&T modem and looked at their DNS setup, blank, no DNS addresses, nor can I change them.

I double checked Firefox proxy and it is set to 'none'

This is getting to be very aggravating....
PureVPN on my Windows PC is an app and it configured like it should. This is a paid $$ service for multiple PCs and it should work on my laptop, but it don't, nor does any other VPN I have tried.

1) PureVPN ( won't work )
2) OpenBook VPN ( won't work )
3) VPNBook ( this is the last one as per your screens. ) ( won't work )

I want to express my deep appreciation for the trouble you are going through here.
Very detailed pictorial steps, no way I could miss... ( I picked up on a single box that I had left unchecked for the IPv4 addressing, I had left it unchecked. )
but still, no cigar for me.

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi AZgl1500,

You are welcome...
AZgl1500 wrote:I already had the VPNBook setup, but I deleted it, and followed thru each of your screens. I even changed the OpenVPN DNS addresses to match the ones you show in your pix. Turned off the VPN, and back on. I logged into the AT&T modem and looked at their DNS setup, blank, no DNS addresses, nor can I change them. I double checked Firefox proxy and it is set to 'none'. This is getting to be very aggravating...

PureVPN on my Windows PC is an app and it configured like it should. This is a paid $$ service for multiple PCs and it should work on my laptop, but it don't, nor does any other VPN I have tried.

I want to express my deep appreciation for the trouble you are going through here.
Very detailed pictorial steps, no way I could miss... ( I picked up on a single box that I had left unchecked for the IPv4 addressing, I had left it unchecked. ) but still, no cigar for me.
Well, what you did is all good. The DNS server IP addresses I used are from "dns.watch" and they are very good.

Did you remove the original "vpn 1 vpn" from your chat with PureVPN? If not I would do that too.

Did you install the updated "openVPN" packages from the link I gave you before? What version does the command below show?

openvpn --version
Did you disable IPv6 using methods 1,2, or 3 from the last link in my last reply; I used #1 and #3? I would definitely try that and reboot afterward.

With your browsers not running, then retry connecting to your VPN. You may also need to clear your browser cache.

What does "ipleak" show?

IP/DNS Detect - What is your IP, what is your DNS, what informations you send to websites.
https://ipleak.net/

FYI: With my setup, whatsmyip is showing my IP address as City: Kalisari, Region: East Java, Country: Indonesia? when connected to vpnbook us2 server, when it should be Virginia. ipleak shows correctly.

Hope this helps ...

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:43 pm

1st off, my ISP went down for a couple hours, then it was up at 1.125 kbps......
argh! this is not my day.

Well, what you did is all good. The DNS server IP addresses I used are from "dns.watch" and they are very good.

Did you remove the original "vpn 1 vpn" from your chat with PureVPN? If not I would do that too.
Yes...

Did you install the updated "openVPN" packages from the link I gave you before?
Yes...

What version does the command below show?
I downloaded the version they said was 2018.03.01, but the code is dated 6/22/2017 ?

john@john-TP500LA ~ $ openvpn --version
OpenVPN 2.3.10 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [MH] [IPv6] built on Jun 22 2017
library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016, LZO 2.08
Originally developed by James Yonan
Copyright (C) 2002-2010 OpenVPN Technologies, Inc. <sales@openvpn.net>
Compile time defines: enable_crypto=yes enable_crypto_ofb_cfb=yes enable_debug=yes enable_def_auth=yes enable_dependency_tracking=no enable_dlopen=unknown enable_dlopen_self=unknown enable_dlopen_self_static=unknown enable_fast_install=yes enable_fragment=yes enable_http_proxy=yes enable_iproute2=yes enable_libtool_lock=yes enable_lzo=yes enable_lzo_stub=no enable_maintainer_mode=no enable_management=yes enable_multi=yes enable_multihome=yes enable_pam_dlopen=no enable_password_save=yes enable_pedantic=no enable_pf=yes enable_pkcs11=yes enable_plugin_auth_pam=yes enable_plugin_down_root=yes enable_plugins=yes enable_port_share=yes enable_selinux=no enable_server=yes enable_shared=yes enable_shared_with_static_runtimes=no enable_silent_rules=no enable_small=no enable_socks=yes enable_ssl=yes enable_static=yes enable_strict=no enable_strict_options=no enable_systemd=yes enable_win32_dll=yes enable_x509_alt_username=yes with_crypto_library=openssl with_gnu_ld=yes with_mem_check=no with_plugindir='${prefix}/lib/openvpn' with_sysroot=no
john@john-TP500LA ~ $ 

Did you disable IPv6 using methods 1,2, or 3 from the last link in my last reply; I used #1 and #3? I would definitely try that and reboot afterward.
Yes...

With your browsers not running, then retry connecting to your VPN. You may also need to clear your browser cache.
I rebooted the laptop.

What does "ipleak" show?

IP Leak top of page:

Phil requested I remove IP address image

IP Leak bottom of page

IP/DNS Detect - What is your IP, what is your DNS, what informations you send to websites.
https://ipleak.net/

FYI: With my setup, whatsmyip is showing my IP address as City: Kalisari, Region: East Java, Country: Indonesia? when connected to vpnbook us2 server, when it should be Virginia. ipleak shows correctly.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by AZgl1500 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Well duh!

I have a "it works" but must be leaking??

I am a moderator of a motorcycle forum, and I was requested to repair a user's account...
when we log into the User Manager, it checks our IP address and popped up this message:

I confirmed the IP and all was well.

So, is VPN working? Must be for the websites I am surfing....
but, all of the IP test sites say this:

So, what do we do to fix this "leak" ?

this is the IP that is "hard coded" into the AT&T modem:

Here is the current IP Leak info:

Last edited by AZgl1500 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:59 am

Hi AZgl1500,

I just created a lengthy reply to your Private Message (PM)...

- When you updated the "openVPN" software, did you follow the instructions for Linux Mint 18.x? It should be showing "OpenVPN 2.4.5"

- Using your PureVPN login information that you gave me, I downloaded their "openVPN" Linux files and extracted them. I was able to easily create 2 new PureVPN VPN server connections to New Jersey TCP, and Arizona UDP, they connected just fine using the instructions I gave you. I did copy their certificate and key file into their UDP and TCP folders first before creating (importing) VPN connections. The one New York UDP file did not work.

BUT "pureVPN" appears to be leaking your actual public IP address at least in Linux which is not secure and defeats the purpose of using a VPN. They allow 5 simultaneous user logins, but I think you have to create separate users accounts for them. If you are logged into their VPN servers on more than one computer or phone, etc... using the same user account, then maybe this is why it is not working, but if this was the case, then you would think they would prevent the VPN login and thus stop the connection. Perhaps they need to update their server configuration files for Linux users too.

If they cannot resolve this, I would cancel my account, and switch to another VPN provider like the excellent low-cost "Private Internet Access (PIA)", or "ProtonVPN", etc...

I currently have free VPN connections from "vpnbook", "vpngate", and "ProtonVPN", and they all work without leaking the public IP address. And I stated before if you can afford it, using a VPN provider that you pay for is better.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:07 am

I will go back and get the latest OpenVPN file, I tried to get the latest one.

bed time, will start again tomorrow.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:10 pm

phd21 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:59 am

Hope this helps ...

Phil,
bringing this back to the top again.

I had to do a fresh install on the laptop due to a miscue and I just went back to this thread, and setup vpnbook in 1, 2, 3 fashion.

Thanks again for all of your detailed instructions.

I just logged into my User Manager for my motorcycle forum, and it shows my "current IP" is indeed a VPN IP.

John

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:52 pm

HI AZgl1500,

You are welcome...

Glad to hear that you now have a working VPN option ...

BeHarley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BeHarley » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:31 am

phd21 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:59 am
Hi AZgl1500,

I just created a lengthy reply to your Private Message (PM)...

- When you updated the "openVPN" software, did you follow the instructions for Linux Mint 18.x? It should be showing "OpenVPN 2.4.5"

- Using your PureVPN login information that you gave me, I downloaded their "openVPN" Linux files and extracted them. I was able to easily create 2 new PureVPN VPN server connections to New Jersey TCP, and Arizona UDP, they connected just fine using the instructions I gave you. I did copy their certificate and key file into their UDP and TCP folders first before creating (importing) VPN connections. The one New York UDP file did not work.

BUT "pureVPN" appears to be leaking your actual public IP address at least in Linux which is not secure and defeats the purpose of using a VPN. They allow 5 simultaneous user logins, but I think you have to create separate users accounts for them. If you are logged into their VPN servers on more than one computer or phone, etc... using the same user account, then maybe this is why it is not working, but if this was the case, then you would think they would prevent the VPN login and thus stop the connection. Perhaps they need to update their server configuration files for Linux users too.

If they cannot resolve this, I would cancel my account, and switch to another VPN provider like the excellent low-cost "Private Internet Access (PIA)", or "ProtonVPN", etc...

I currently have free VPN connections from "vpnbook", "vpngate", and "ProtonVPN", and they all work without leaking the public IP address. And I stated before if you can afford it, using a VPN provider that you pay for is better.

Hope this helps ...

I am currently having an issue with my linux system. Still on 16 ubuntu. Its giving me an error related to bandwidth cap reached. I am not sure what to do and how to get it working again.

Bought my sub a year back now.. Was working fine until recently. The only added service is the NAT Firewall. I am using the same provider as discussed here. Read a lot of purevpn reivews but none of them gave me answers to what is causing bandwidth issue.

Any help from here would be much appreciated.

Return to “Wireless”