Dual Boot Wifi Issues

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WildWestCowBoy

Dual Boot Wifi Issues

Post by WildWestCowBoy »

Hello,
Let me start off by saying for the past 7ish hours I have been trying to get Linux Mint 18.3 to connect to the internet... I had to go back to my Windows 10 to write this....
To start off until two days before this post I have never used Linux, want to learn it for professional reason. In the 7 hours of trying to mint to go online I have read what feel like to be 100 forums related to this issue none of with has help.
I have gotten a little bit of info that might be needed to help me fix this based on what I saw on other forums. Now to get to the issue.

From the moment I loaded Mint (via usb) the wireless adapter via pci express port has mostly work in picking up networks I can connect to, Like my WIFI shows up (although sometimes it will not show any networks to link to. Ill turn on and off the wifi via network manager and it will not show any networks. So then I restart my desktop and the wifi is gone altogether cant find it anywhere, so after I shut down instead of restarting I can then see the wifi and it sees the networks I can link to.) When I try to link to my network the loading circle will be there for around 15 seconds (never timed it) then a window will pop up in the right corner saying something like disconnected no internet or something like that. (on a side note with all the restarts I was doing the same kind of box was popping up but instead said wireless networks available most of the time it would pop up) So then I told network manager to forget the network so I could put in what I knew to be the wrong password to see what would happen. Shockingly I got the same results as I did when I put in the right password, loading circle will be there for around 15 seconds (never timed it) then a window will pop up in the right corner saying something like disconnected no internet or something like that. I thought for sure it would tell me wrong password. And no idea if this has to do with this but since I am running the dual boot i should be able to choose after restart to load windows or linux. When I click on Linux it boots right up, But when I choose windows i get the blue screen of death (it crashes and sends a report to windows) then I have to go back into bios and manually tell it to boot windows and it works just find then I have to go back into bios and tell it to boot Linux. Then on restarts I can choose Linux when it ask me what I want to boot with and it loads right up. I think thats all I know right now here are the specs I pull with the command being the first line.

Code: Select all

~ $ iwlist scan; lshw -c net
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

enp3s0    Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlp2s0    No scan results

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-network               
       description: Wireless interface
       product: RTL8812AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       logical name: wlp2s0
       version: 01
       serial: b0:6e:bf:dc:0c:50
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8821ae driverversion=4.10.0-38-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
       resources: irq:141 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:df400000-df403fff
  *-network
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: Qualcomm Atheros
       vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       logical name: enp3s0
       version: 10
       serial: 30:9c:23:01:c5:f5
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=alx latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
       resources: irq:19 memory:df300000-df33ffff ioport:c000(size=128)
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

~ $ dpkg -l | grep network-manager
ii  network-manager                       1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1                                  amd64        network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
ii  network-manager-gnome                 1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.3                                  amd64        network management framework (GNOME frontend)
ii  network-manager-openvpn               1.1.93-1ubuntu1.1                                       amd64        network management framework (OpenVPN plugin core)
ii  network-manager-openvpn-gnome         1.1.93-1ubuntu1.1                                       amd64        network management framework (OpenVPN plugin GNOME GUI)
ii  network-manager-pptp                  1.1.93-1ubuntu1                                         amd64        network management framework (PPTP plugin core)
ii  network-manager-pptp-gnome            1.1.93-1ubuntu1                                         amd64        network management framework (PPTP plugin GNOME GUI)

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Bossmint Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: Z270 GAMING M7 (MS-7A57) v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: 1.30 date: 03/31/2017
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-7700K (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 33600
           clock speeds: max: 4600 MHz 1: 4200 MHz 2: 4200 MHz 3: 4034 MHz 4: 974 MHz 5: 984 MHz 6: 1372 MHz
           7: 899 MHz 8: 4200 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 5912 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1c82 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Device a2f0 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 Sound: ALSA v: k4.10.0-38-generic
           Card-2 NVIDIA Device 0fb9 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8812AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: rtl8821ae port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros Device e0b1 driver: alx port: c000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1250.3GB (4.7% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000DX002 size: 1000.2GB temp: 33C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: HM250JI size: 250.1GB temp: 4C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 92G used: 5.8G (7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.09GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 0.0:39C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 254 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 729.8/15924.9MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

~ $ rfkill list all
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

~ $ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

enp3s0    no wireless extensions.

wlp2s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=30 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Dual Boot Wifi Issues

Post by kc1di »

Hello WildWestCowBoy and Welcome to Linux MInt Forums,

Unfortunately the wireless card you have is very problematic as realtek has a very spotty linux driver history.
Best advise would be to get a usb wifi dongle known to work with linux and get connected first. Then work on the rtl8821ae.
There are may ways to do that but unless your already connected it's hard to get that card going in Linux.
Here are some usb dongles known to work well. http://www.wirelesshack.org/top-linux-c ... pters.html

after you get connected you can try to fix the rtl8821 with this recommendation https://medium.com/@elmaxx/rtl8821ae-wi ... 1286524afa

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe others have overcome this obstacle and easier way and will chime in.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WildWestCowBoy

Post by WildWestCowBoy »

I was starting to think that... are there any know PCI express network cards I get that work well? (have not looked myself yet thought i would reply first) I would much rather use a network card than a USB. Also I know this thread if for network issues put any thoughts on why the dual boot isnt working right? (going to start a new topic on that in the right tread just thought i might ask) \

Thank you for your feed back on the network card.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WildWestCowBoy

Post by WildWestCowBoy »

Thanks again!

Return to “Networking”