How to get RTL 8812AU working without internet?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arp
Level 3
Level 3

How to get RTL 8812AU working without internet?

Post by Arp »

Hi,

I am in a pickle. I moved to a new appartment, and I basically have no internet connection. The only thing that works is the mobile data on my phone. I am now trying to use my phone as a hotspot and connect to it with a usb dongle.

I have onne which uses the Realtex 8812AU chip. I am using linux mint 17.3, kernel 4.4.0.
The problem is, that it is apparently not loaded by the system. Inxi -Fz shows that it is actually Card-2, WLAN Adapter. But the IF: is null-if-id, state: N/A mac: N/A.

How to I get it to load a driver? Is there some deb that I can download and then use offline? Or can I use modprobe somehow to activate it, if it is already installed?

thx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to get RTL 8812AU working without internet?

Post by JeremyB »

Can you use USB tethering to a cell phone for internet?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to get RTL 8812AU working without internet?

Post by jimallyn »

I have used tethering from my Android phone to my laptop a few times. If I remember correctly, just plug a USB cable into the phone and into the computer. On the phone, go to Settings, More Networks, Tethering, and enable USB tethering. I assume non-Android phones have something similar. There is lots of good information on installing Realtek drivers here:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /reserve-7
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Networking”