Newbie having trouble setting up wifi - suspect no drivers

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sillycat41

Newbie having trouble setting up wifi - suspect no drivers

Post by sillycat41 »

Just installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on an old Windows XP laptop the other day. Wired connection worked so did the updates. However cannot figure out how to set up the wireless. I suspect that the drivers aren't installed but don't know how to do that in Mint. Searched this forum and found instructions confusing... code language that I have no idea where to enter it! I did try to toogle the little tower icon on the F key... no luck. If you offer instructions please make them simple as I have no clue where stuff is in Linux... used Windows for many years. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Newbie having trouble setting up wifi - suspect no drivers

Post by richyrich »

Any wireless devices showing up in the Driver Manager program?
sillycat41

Post by sillycat41 »

No, that's the problem... nothing shows up. :(
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello sillycat41 and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,

Please go to a terminal and type this command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
and post the output back here use code tags please.
also this command

Code: Select all

rfkill list
The first one give an overview of your system and the other one tells us if you have any soft are hardware block enabled.
Thanks.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Networking”