USB bluetooth adapter not receiving enough power on laptop?

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
linlinxz
Level 2
Level 2

USB bluetooth adapter not receiving enough power on laptop?

Post by linlinxz » Sun May 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Okay, so I am having a problem with my USB bluetooth adapter. It's an Asus BT400. Here's the thing, when I plug it into my laptop, I have connection problems and audio is out of sync sometimes. But when I plugged it into my desktop, I have no issues whatsoever (I can go all the way to the kitchen and still get perfect sound.). So I think I can narrow it down to not being a software problem but rather, there is not enough power being provided to the adapter. That or the USB keyboard and mouse are interfering with the adapter when used on the laptop.

Can anyone chime in on this?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: USB bluetooth adapter not receiving enough power on laptop?

Post by jimallyn » Tue May 15, 2018 3:34 am

There are standards that USB ports must meet for current capability, voltage, and so on. So I wouldn't expect "not receiving enough power" to be a problem. I'd be more inclined to suspect an RF interference problem. Exact same operating system on both computers? And can you try it with all other RF sources (wifi, etc.) turned off? Any difference that way?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

linlinxz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linlinxz » Tue May 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Yes. Both operating systems are the same on the desktop and laptop.

And for the record, I am using a game controller and it doesn't work on either my laptop or my sister's (which has the same OS). I type in dmesg and get the following: "device descriptor read/64, error -32." I saw that this is related to the usb port on the laptops not being able to provide enough power to the device. But it will work on the desktop no problem just like the bluetooth adapter. Maybe there is a correlation?
Last edited by linlinxz on Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19

Post by JeremyB » Tue May 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Any chance that the laptops are using wifi and the desktop is using ethernet? The only time I had issues with USB on my laptop is when I plugged in a non powered USB hub and had a few devices plugged in

linlinxz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linlinxz » Tue May 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Only thing I have plugged in is a wireless keyboard and mouse and the bluetooth. Yes, that could cause interference. I believe I still had the same issue even with the wireless keyboard and mouse unplugged.

linlinxz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linlinxz » Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 am

I think I've come to a conclusion. I tried that game controller on my laptop but this time with my desktop screen being used as a hub for that controller. And the laptop saw it. (This was after the fact that my controller started acting up when plugged direct into one of the USB ports on the board with my desktop.) So I have to deduce that since I had the bluetooth adapter plugged in my display that was connected to my desktop at the time, it served as an extra power source to power that device which resulted in much better signal.

If you're wondering why I don't try my bluetooth adapter with the screen, it's because I tried it with another hub (I had this idea before) but I used a power adapter that was not meant for the hub and fried my bluetooth (Luckily I didn't fry anything else. Stupid me :oops:). But also a power outage occurred... (Just my luck.) Luckily it was cheap. :/ Oh well. I have another one of the same kind on the way.

I guess it rings true after all; bluetooth sucks up a lot of power, so I guess a lack of power results in poor signal. :wink:

Return to “Wireless”