Internet connection and ExpressVPN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kalitomint

Internet connection and ExpressVPN

Post by kalitomint »

Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble connecting to the Internet on my Lenovo Laptop lately both on Ethernet and WiFi connections. Here is the situation:

-I can connect to my router immediately if I plug an Ethernet Cable or just try to connect to the WiFi;
-When I start ExpressVPN in the command-line (expressvpn connect smart), it takes a really long time to connect (5 min or so), then it gets stuck on 75% and then it finally connects to the Internet;
-First, it shows nothing (just the command mentioned above); then it show "Connecting to Location..."; then only it starts counting the percentage until it reaches 100% minutes later;
-I thought at first it was ExpressVPN, but I have Linux Mint on another Desktop computer, and I don't have this problem;
-If I type lsusb in the terminal to see which chipset I have, here is what I get:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 174f:2414 Syntek
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0cf3:e500 Atheros Communications, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Do I have a driver issue here? I have no idea where to start looking, does someone have an idea? I did not have this problem at the beginning, so I guess it must have been an update of Linux.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Internet connection and ExpressVPN

Post by killer de bug »

Do you have the same issue if you force the connexion to a specific server? Not using the smart keyword, but a location.
doonit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doonit »

I'm having a similar problem, also Lenovo on Linux MInt 18.3 Cinnamon.

Admittedly, I hadn't used ExpressVPN for a while on this computer. This morning I switched on vpn and since then my connection has gone, even after disconnecting the vpn. Still get ping but no up/down.

This computer was fine last night. I've been through tcp and udp protocols with Expressvpn support to no avail. My home wifi is performing perfectly on my phone and other Mint computer. I've turned ufw on/off but that's about as far as my knowledge goes
doonit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doonit »

I would really appreciate some help with this. It's quite urgent
doonit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doonit »

This is very strange. My problem was resolved by plugging in the ethernet cable, doing a speedtest and then disconnecting the ethernet cable again

Return to “Networking”