Linux Mint 18.3: sudden problem with Wifi

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oops

Linux Mint 18.3: sudden problem with Wifi

Post by oops »

I am also having wifi problems with Mint 18.3. All the sudden my Dell laptop keeps dropping wifi connection and won't reconnect until i reboot. It happens whenever i close the lid and the laptop suspends. Now it does it kind of randomly even after rebooting. Also, I have 4 computers in my network running Mint 18.3 KDE and every single one of them suddenly are unable to download and install packages with synaptic. I get a broken packages error on all of them. After hours of reading and trying different proposed solutions nothing has changed. I've been with Mint for almost five years but I can't have a system that I can't use.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint 18.3: sudden problem with Wifi

Post by JeremyB »

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

instead of rebooting, just use Control-Alt-Backspace and reboot the desktop only, much quicker.

until you find the fix.

for me though, just simply toggling off the WiFi button, and wait 5 seconds, and toggle it back on, does the same thing
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
oops

Post by oops »

But why should a Mint user have to keep reconnecting his wifi? It worked almost flawlessly for five years.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Try booting from a previous kernel.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
fdpg1963

Post by fdpg1963 »

Switched off Wifi power saving permanently which solved the Wifi dropout problem.

However, at least every week Chromium crashes and hangs up the whole system, started with version 66.
Changed to Manjaro Gnome stable (without wifi power saving) and all problems are solved.

Bye bye Mint 18, you are not as good as Mint 13 and 17... Hope 19 will be better because I still like you, but for now I'm very happy with Manjaro.

Return to “Networking”