<SOLVED> Wlan Hard Blocked: Yes

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darragh

<SOLVED> Wlan Hard Blocked: Yes

Post by Darragh »

Hello,
I've just installed Linux Mint 18.3 on my new Laptop but the Wlan isn't working correct. I'm pretty new to Linux, but I'm trying to give you all information I gathered until now.
I'm using a Lenovo L380 Laptop. As i said, Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit is installed. Linux-Kernel 4.10.0-38 generic. No other OS on this Laptop!

When I boot my pc, the command "rfkill list all" shows me, that my Wlan is hard blocked. I do not have any hardwarekey to activate it. I can only change the soft-block via keyboard hotkeys. The strange thing is, when I close my Laptop and open it again, the Wlan isn't hard blocked anymore. Also, when I connect via LAN and disconnect straight after, it isn't hard blocked anymore. But that's a bit messy for daily use.

What I did so far:
I tried to update the kernel via ukuu, but it failed and my Linux didn't start anymore. I reset it via Timeshift.
I looked up the BIOS and found "WLAN DEVICE ENABLED".
I did reset my BIOS to default settings.
I tried rfkill unblock all/wlan with and without sudo.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Wlan Hard Blocked: Yes

Post by deepakdeshp »

I tried to update the kernel via ukuu, but it failed and my Linux didn't start anymore. I reset it via Timeshift.
You can always boot into your working kernel by going to advance options of your first grub screen where you can choose any of the installed kernels for booting,
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

First you should not use UKUU to install kernels in Mint. Use the update manager to install newer or older kernels.

Please tell us which machine you are using there has to be a manual switch or some combination of keys that turns the Card on and off. on my Laptop it's FN+f2 key.
so look in the machines manual if you have it and see what it says about that. If you don't have the manual check on line many machine manufactures put their manuals online.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would uninstall any kernel installed with UKUU and use the Mint Update Manager to install the 4.15 kernel
Darragh

Post by Darragh »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:18 am
You can always boot into your working kernel by going to advance options of your first grub screen where you can choose any of the installed kernels for booting,
To be honest, I dont understand what you're saying. To clarify this, I'm beginner with Linux, I'm using this OS for 3 hours now. So could you explain what you said? I did get a Error after updating the kernel with Ukuu, and the only thing that I was able to do is to reset it via Timeshift & a Live-USB.

kc1di wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:31 am First you should not use UKUU to install kernels in Mint. Use the update manager to install newer or older kernels.

Please tell us which machine you are using there has to be a manual switch or some combination of keys that turns the Card on and off. on my Laptop it's FN+f2 key.
so look in the machines manual if you have it and see what it says about that. If you don't have the manual check on line many machine manufactures put their manuals online.
It's a Lenovo L380. There isn't any manual switch. Or why would it activate after closing the Laptop once after booting?
Furthermore, there is a FN + F8 Combination. When I press it, it changes the Soft Block from the WLAN, but the Hard-Block keeps untouched.

JeremyB wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:39 am I would uninstall any kernel installed with UKUU and use the Mint Update Manager to install the 4.15 kernel
Thanks a lot! It worked. I didn't know that I can update the Kernel via the Update Manager. Not a single guide in the internet did tell that.
One last question. Now I'm running on 4.15. Do I have to uninstall the other kernel or should I not worry about that? Or did the Update Manager everything for me?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Darragh wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:42 am
deepakdeshp wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:18 am
To be honest, I dont understand what you're saying. To clarify this, I'm beginner with Linux, I'm using this OS for 3 hours now. So could you explain what you said? I did get a Error after updating the kernel with Ukuu, and the only thing that I was able to do is to reset it via Timeshift & a Live-USB.

If you boot the machine you will get the grub screen first in that screen you have to chooses 2nd option and then you can boot any of the installed kernels.

kc1di wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:31 am First you should not use UKUU to install kernels in Mint. Use the update manager to install newer or older kernels.

It's a Lenovo L380. There isn't any manual switch. Or why would it activate after closing the Laptop once after booting?
Furthermore, there is a FN + F8 Combination. When I press it, it changes the Soft Block from the WLAN, but the Hard-Block keeps untouched.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Darragh wrote:I didn't know that I can update the Kernel via the Update Manager. Not a single guide in the internet did tell that.
Here's more info on installing kernels via the Update Manager.
Darragh wrote:Now I'm running on 4.15. Do I have to uninstall the other kernel or should I not worry about that? Or did the Update Manager everything for me?
You don't have to, and it's nice to have some prior kernels installed as backup in case a new one presents some issue, but they will eventually start taking up more disk space than they're worth having. I keep the previous two versions installed on my PCs.

Joe
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: <SOLVED> Wlan Hard Blocked: Yes

Post by deepakdeshp »

Though not required now, but here is some kernel information.
https://www.linux.com/learn/how-rescue- ... ub-2-Linux
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: <SOLVED> Wlan Hard Blocked: Yes

Post by deepakdeshp »

Useful information
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=245700
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Networking”