Connecting laptop to Internet using US Celluar hotspot device

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Connecting laptop to Internet using US Celluar hotspot device

Post by wpshooter »

Is connecting to the Internet via a US Cellular hotspot device with a Linux Mint 18.3 OS
detected and setup automatically when the OS installation is performed on the computer or
is there some type of manual configuration that needs to be done ? Or is configuration
of Internet connectivity via hotspot basically the same as a WIFI connection ?

If I install Mint from a live Mint USB ISO should I do this via my DSL internet connection
and then do whatever needs to be done to get the computers' Internet connectivity switched over
to the US Cellular hotspot AFTERWARDS ?

I have DSL, the actual user of this computer only has the hotspot, no DSL.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Connecting laptop to Internet using US Celluar hotspot device

Post by Spearmint2 »

I've done it with xfinity hotspots and all you do is click on the connection signal showing in Network Manager and you will get a username/password prompt and then you are on it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Spearmint2 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 pm I've done it with xfinity hotspots and all you do is click on the connection signal showing in Network Manager and you will get a username/password prompt and then you are on it.
Thanks for your reply. So, then I should be able to test this by just booting to the live Mint USB thumb drive, correct ?

Has anyone had experience with doing this with a US Cellular hotspot device ?
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

yes, you open the browser and should get the signon prompt.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Verizon here, using their Ellipsis JetPack WiFi network device.

It just looks like any other WiFi router, and I click on the JetPack and enter the password.

No further requirements.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Networking”