upgrading Linksys e1200 router's firmware with LM 18 xfce

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: upgrading Linksys e1200 router's firmware with LM 18 xfce

Post by Arch_Enemy »

dome77 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:30 pm After an extended online chat with Linksys I was told I was not to be concerned about the issue with the discrepancy between the 63-digit login passphrase and the Administration>Management>Router Password. The fact that they don't match (63-digits vs. 16 digits) is a security feature according to Linksys.

Thank you to all for your help.
That's just what I was going to say. They don't show asterisks for the whole password in case someone does gain access, as it makes it easier to hack. Congrats! Glad it worked for you.

Now, if you're feeling brave, you can try DD-WRT, which is more configurable and more secure, but can be a pain to load and configure. I got a 2nd hand router for ~$8 and loaded it, but I don't use it because of it's age.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Re:[solved] upgrading Linksys e1200 router's firmware with LM 18 xfce

Post by dome77 »

Hi Arch_Enemy. I learned that my Linksys e1200 will not be receiving any more updates, so I may consider doing DD-WRT on a router that I may have to ditch anyway if another threat surfaces. You have been generous with your time and have taught me a lot.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Re:[solved] upgrading Linksys e1200 router's firmware with LM 18 xfce

Post by Arch_Enemy »

dome77 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:56 am Hi Arch_Enemy. I learned that my Linksys e1200 will not be receiving any more updates, so I may consider doing DD-WRT on a router that I may have to ditch anyway if another threat surfaces. You have been generous with your time and have taught me a lot.
None of mine have any updates.

Problem with DD-WRT is it's ~10 years old. No real updates there, either.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Networking”