upgrading Linksys e1200 router's firmware with LM 18 xfce

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dome77
Level 1
Level 1

upgrading Linksys e1200 router's firmware with LM 18 xfce

Post by dome77 »

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-arti ... Num=148523

Linksys recommends upgrading the firmware version of my router. The router was originally set up when I was running Windows (several years ago now).Since then I have wiped Windows and only use Linux.

First, does using Linux as an OS provide me with any immunity or protection against this so-called Russian threat to my router?

Frankly I am a little nervous about messing around with the router if I don't have to. Linksys warns Linux users about upgrading using Linux with terms such as "use at your own risk." Can someone advise me?

My firmware version is 2.0.04, and the current version is 2.0.09.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: upgrading Linksys e1200 router's firmware with LM 18 xfce

Post by Arch_Enemy »

dome77 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:49 pm https://www.linksys.com/us/support-arti ... Num=148523

Linksys recommends upgrading the firmware version of my router. The router was originally set up when I was running Windows (several years ago now).Since then I have wiped Windows and only use Linux.

First, does using Linux as an OS provide me with any immunity or protection against this so-called Russian threat to my router?

Frankly I am a little nervous about messing around with the router if I don't have to. Linksys warns Linux users about upgrading using Linux with terms such as "use at your own risk." Can someone advise me?

My firmware version is 2.0.04, and the current version is 2.0.09.

Any advice would be appreciated.
It doesn't try to invade your computer.

It is like a "packet sniffer". It looks at where you're going, what you're accessing and passes the info along.

One of the exploit/collection servers has already been seized.

Generally:

Remove your router from the network.
Do a hard reset. On most of these you leave the router plugged in and press and hold the Reset button for a minimum of 30 seconds. Then unplug it while still holding the Reset button, again for a minimum of 30 seconds. Then plug it back in while holding the Reset button. Just for kicks, I unplug it one more time while still holding in the Reset button, then release the button.

What I do then is plug my computer's ethernet cable in to the router, with NOTHING else attached, and do the configuration. Especially important:

Turn OFF VPN unless you really need it.
Replace the password with a strong one.
TURN OFF Remote Management.

Also, since I don't need them, I drop SSH, Telnet and FTP requests. If you don't need these services, filter them out in the Security section.

While you're at it, turn of UPnP. You don't need it and it just broadcasts that your device is available, just what hackers are looking for.

Once you have done a hard reset, you have removed the Stage 1 part of the attack. A simple reboot without a hard reset removes stages 2 and 3, but stage 1 will still try to locate and download 2 and 3.
For additional security, configure your router, test it to make sure it works as you need it and save your configuration to a file. Most routers will let you do this, so if you do have to do another hard reset you can reload the configuration without having to do it manually.

Also, I would (and am going to, since I haven't yet) reset your ISP provided router ass well.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

PS: I have 2 Netgear routers (both of them on the list) where the ONLY way to reset them is to hold down the Reset button for HOURS! I don't know why. I have located a screw that is just the right size, I insert the screw, turn it 3-4 times, and leave it for ~4 hours in order to do a hard reset.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Now, to answer your original question:

Go to the website and download the firmware upgrade.

I would do all of the information above as far as a hard reset, just to be sure.

Your router's password will be reset to default. Mostr of them are User: admin Password: password. Some of them are no user name but in the password field you enter either

Code: Select all

admin
or

Code: Select all

password
Navigate to "Administration" or "Management" and look for the Update option. Click on Browse, locate the file you downloaded and select it. The router should then update.
Note that it may take a LONG time! Be patient! Do not turn off the computer, the router, or try to navigate away from the page you are on! Just sit it out. Have an Ice Tea or an adult beverage. Watch a movie. It will reboot (usually) when finished.
Then go through the steps mentioned above to try and bulletproof your router a bit better.

Good Luck! If you have a battery backup for your computer, plug your router into it also, just in case.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Also, yes this can be done just as well on Linux as Windows. The firmware upgrade is performed using the routers web interface in a browser. I've done it several times with Firefox and Chromium on Linux...don't recall ever using Windows to do an upgrade.
dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dome77 »

@ Arch_Enemy That was very generous of you to provide all that information. I will give it a go and report back if there are any difficulties. Thank you so much.

@ Neil Edmond Thank you for your reassurance about using Linux to do the upgrade. This forum is a fantastic resource for me.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi dome77,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 From your own link it looks like you can update your router's firmware through its web interface. If Linksys (Cisco) recommends updating the firmware, then you should do it. Your router has a firmware backup option and updating the firmware instructions on page 61 of its pdf manual, link below.

Linksys Official Support - Linksys E1200 N300 Wi-Fi Router - button link to your router's manual and the firmware.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-prod ... 003KRTzAAO

Linksys Official Support - Upgrading the Linksys router’s firmware using the classic web-based setup page
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-arti ... Num=132961

Linux Mint is already much more secure than other operating systems.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

dome77 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:03 pm @ Arch_Enemy That was very generous of you to provide all that information. I will give it a go and report back if there are any difficulties. Thank you so much.

@ Neil Edmond Thank you for your reassurance about using Linux to do the upgrade. This forum is a fantastic resource for me.
You're quite welcome! Good luck. It can seem daunting, but if you get stuck after doing the update and can't connect to the Internet, do another hard reset and start over!

If you need further help, feel free.

BTW, after doing a hard reset, you do NOT have to reload the firmware. Once it's uploaded it stays there unless something overwrites it, and nothing usually does.

dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dome77 »

Hello, Arch_Enemy, I think I could use some help. My understanding was to start by doing a hard reset. I did the 30-30-30 process you recommended, then went to make the config changes, although I could only seem to find and change settings for VPN , remote mgmt. and UPnP. I knew I had to reset the passphrase and went online to a passphrase generator to get one. The router was not connected to internet at that time. I attempted to get back into the browser interface to make the passphrase change, but I have been unable to do so as I am getting the Unable to Connect message.

I went to the Linksys support page and saw that their directions for a hard reset were slightly different from the 30-30-30, so I followed their directions. The results are the same. I cannot get to the browser interface again. The ethernet cable from the modem is connected to the router to access the interface. I have also tried power cycling several times.

Please advise. Thanks.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I have no idea what went wrong (maybe entering the new password wrong?), but I would suggest doing another hard reset just to get back to zero before you try anything else. When configuring the router, one should only connect the computer to one of the router's LAN ports with ethernet cable. Don't connect anything to the router's WAN port.
dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dome77 »

I have attempted a hard reset about four times. According to the user manual, I press the reset button and hold for ten seconds, wait for the lights in back of the router to come on, then release the button. The ethernet cable is then connected from the laptop to the router's Ethernet Port 1. I connect to the browser interface and attempt to change the security settings as best as I can, and changing the 63 digit passphrase, then backup the config, then upgrade the firmware. It only takes a few minutes for the progress bar to advance to completion. A screen appears saying, "A system reboot is in progress and may take up to 80 seconds." I notice it says "is in progress", which I take to mean it is literally in progress, yet there is a button which says "continue". I find this to be confusing. I have tried two methods here. 1. I do not press the "continue" button and wait about 30 minutes. Nothing happens, so I press "continue." This does not work. 2. I press the "continue" button before waiting 30 minutes for something which is supposed to happen within 80 seconds. That does not work either.

The 30-30-30 hard reset does not work for me.

I have also tried rebooting through the browser interface.

Thank you for your patience.
dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dome77 »

Hello folks. I have been able somehow to get to the most current firmware. I am continuing to work on configuring the router and having problems with difficulties in logging in after changing the passphrase. I'm sure it's because of my lack of knowledge in this area. The router is set up with WPS, which I believe is not the most secure. I will research how to manually set up the security. That is my next challenge. Thanks to all who have helped me along the way. Feel free to chime in if you have any input.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

dome77 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:24 pm Hello folks. I have been able somehow to get to the most current firmware. I am continuing to work on configuring the router and having problems with difficulties in logging in after changing the passphrase. I'm sure it's because of my lack of knowledge in this area. The router is set up with WPS, which I believe is not the most secure. I will research how to manually set up the security. That is my next challenge. Thanks to all who have helped me along the way. Feel free to chime in if you have any input.
You are connecting by cable (ethernet), right? It is hit or miss trying to connect to it via WiFi.

Make sure you have the right default username/password for the new firmware. Try to do the hard reset again. If that does not work, press and hold the reset button for a long time; stick something in there and prop it against something like a bookend or such for a couple of hours. Unplugged, that is. This should clear out the settings and let you start over. Again, if you loaded the latest firmware, you should not have to do this again. Also, are you getting the login when you enter the IP address?

dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dome77 »

You are connecting by cable (ethernet), right? It is hit or miss trying to connect to it via WiFi.

Make sure you have the right default username/password for the new firmware. Try to do the hard reset again. If that does not work, press and hold the reset button for a long time; stick something in there and prop it against something like a bookend or such for a couple of hours. Unplugged, that is. This should clear out the settings and let you start over. Again, if you loaded the latest firmware, you should not have to do this again. Also, are you getting the login when you enter the IP address?
Hi Arch_Enemy. I was connecting by ethernet cable. I am also getting the login after entering the IP address. However, a passphrase automatically appears which is not the new passphrase (63 digits) I chose. I can still login if I delete it manually and then enter the correct password. I don't know where the wrong passphrase came from and tried deleting it from my browser settings. Also, when I get to the Administration Management interface, there is a section for Router Password which does not match my login password. Have tried deleting it, but it keeps showing up.

Overall things are looking much better today despite the glitches. I could try the extended hard reset you mentioned to tweak the passphrase issues.

I am very appreciative of your help. Thank You.
dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dome77 »

Hi Arch_Enemy. I was connecting by ethernet cable. I am also getting the login after entering the IP address. However, a passphrase automatically appears which is not the new passphrase (63 digits) I chose. I can still login if I delete it manually and then enter the correct password. I don't know where the wrong passphrase came from and tried deleting it from my browser settings. Also, when I get to the Administration Management interface, there is a section for Router Password which does not match my login password. Have tried deleting it, but it keeps showing up.

Overall things are looking much better today despite the glitches. I could try the extended hard reset you mentioned to tweak the passphrase issues.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

dome77 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:11 pm

Hmmm...did you reconnect it to the internet in between? Could be it's compromised already!

However, it could also be because you have turned off Remote Management (did you?) in that case you have to do a hard reset to make any further changes.

dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dome77 »

I removed my router from the network and did another hard reset, connected the ethernet cable from my computer to the router, logged in to the IP address using "admin" as password, and made the following config changes:

1. changed the passphrase
2. turned off VPN
3. turned off Remote Management
4. turned off UPnP
5. set up manual security

After doing these things, I was able to log in using the brand new passphrase. However, under the Administration tab of the interface, the Router Password is not the same as my login passphrase, even though I attempted to change it and successfully saved my changes (theoretically at least). Should I be concerned about this?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

dome77 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:45 amthe Router Password is not the same as my login passphrase
You mean the wifi network password? That should be different than the admin login passphrase, although you can set both to anything you choose, it is done individually.
dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dome77 »

You mean the wifi network password? That should be different than the admin login passphrase, although you can set both to anything you choose, it is done individually.]
Hi Neil. Just to clarify, after the hard reset I logged in with the initial "admin" password IP interface and do config changes that I mentioned above. I am not connected to the internet while doing the changes. I went to the Administration section > Management section of the interface. There I see "Router Password" which appears to have only 16 characters. I have no idea how these 16 characters got applied. Would they not have been removed by doing the hard reset? I repeatedly have tried to replace them with my personalized log in passphrase thinking they should be one in the same (but maybe not ?). It seems they cannot be changed. Under the Security section, I have enabled Security and my personalized login passphrase remains correctly there. I have not found anything online which addresses this issue. Hope this helps.

(I edited this post because I realized it might not have been as clear as it should have been. Sorry for the confusion.)
dome77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dome77 »

After an extended online chat with Linksys I was told I was not to be concerned about the issue with the discrepancy between the 63-digit login passphrase and the Administration>Management>Router Password. The fact that they don't match (63-digits vs. 16 digits) is a security feature according to Linksys.

Thank you to all for your help.

Return to “Networking”