[Solved]Connecting To WIFI On HP Computer

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved]Connecting To WIFI On HP Computer

Post by shom_ronnie »

I am new to linux systems, dint know where else to post my problem, so dropping in here

I recently switched from windows, and my hp works fine, its just the wifi that seems to be the problem. Wifi keeps fluctuating, and drops completely at times and cant access any pages then. Problem persists for a while unless the wifi button is toggled. I tried a couple of steps in other posts without much success. Would be really glad if someone could help me out here. Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Connecting To WIFI On HP Computer

Post by JoeFootball »

shom_ronnie wrote:Would be really glad if someone could help me out here. Thanks in advance
You could try some of the ideas in this article from the Easy Linux Tips Project. You'd probably want "Section 2: Bad wireless connection", but the entire page is informative.

Also, it could be helpful for others if they knew more about your system. If you entered inxi -Fxz an a terminal prompt, and posted the output here, it would help facilitate diagnosis.

Joe
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

System: Host: shom-HP-Notebook Kernel: 4.13.0-45-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: HP product: HP Notebook v: Type1ProductConfigId
Mobo: HP model: 81EF v: 63.40 Bios: Insyde v: F.41 date: 03/02/2018
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-5005U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7981
clock speeds: max: 1900 MHz 1: 813 MHz 2: 904 MHz 3: 895 MHz
4: 803 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-45-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 07:00.0
IF: enp7s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 0d:00.0
IF: wlp13s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.3% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS541010A9 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 17G used: 9.5G (61%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda11
ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.97GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda12
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 39.5C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 213 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 1022.1/3866.4MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

You have a broadcom card you'll need to plug into a ethernet connection (hard cable) and install the driver for that card then reboot.
The driver manager under Menu/Administration/Driver Manager should offer you a couple possibilities , install the recommended driver.
According to the inxi output you already have the wl driver installed and it should be working
please go to a terminal and enter this command and post the results here:

Code: Select all

rfkill list
and

lsmod | grep wl
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Looks like your wifi is BCM43142. Here's a couple of threads on that:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=270430&p=1476226&h ... 2#p1476226

viewtopic.php?t=250094
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Ok so i installed the broadcom driver. But the wifi button is gone now, no other way to turn wifi on. It only shows wired connection. With rf kill command it says
0: hci0: bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no
Does not give anything with lsmod command
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

So basically i am back to where i began. Looked in the driver manager, installed the recommended driver, and wifi is back on, but keeps fluctuating, although i am metres away from my router, It gets slow to the point where it gets disconnected and then re connects
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

lsmod | grep wl
wl 6447104 0
cfg80211 614400 1 wl
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Ok here something you can check
go to terminal and type

iwconfig

look for a line that says power management if it says on try turning it off with this command

sudo iwconfig wlp13s0 power off

see if that helps if it does let me know we will make it permanent.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Its already power off:

iwconfig
enp7s0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

wlp13s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"Searching..."
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 1C:5F:2B:DA:04:A0
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Just an update, from last night the connection hasnt dropped completely, although it keeps fluctuating. Dont know if that has an effect on the speed of browsing. Sometimes its at 88% then drops to say a 40%. Dont know if this will stay, but its how it has been last one hour of usage.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

0nly other thing I can think of is that your router is in a very congested area and your all trying to use the same channel. On my neatgear router I can tell it to use a different channel you might see if you can do the same there. That may increase the signal level a bit and speed this up. This page may be of help:
https://fossbytes.com/how-to-increase-w ... i-channel/
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Thanks for your help. Think reinstalling the driver did the trick. For now the connection does not disconnect completely as it was doing previously. But i am still skeptical about this, as network does not seem stable although i am getting uninterrupted internet. I will keep monitoring, and report of required

Thank you
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

shom_ronnie wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 am Thanks for your help. Think reinstalling the driver did the trick. For now the connection does not disconnect completely as it was doing previously. But i am still skeptical about this, as network does not seem stable although i am getting uninterrupted internet. I will keep monitoring, and report of required

Thank you
We will be awaiting your report.
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Its solved the issue. Wifi does not drop off as it was doing earlier. Signal fluctuates a bit, but does not affect internet speed. So i am happy with it. Will be marking solved
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Re:Connecting To WIFI On HP Computer

Post by shom_ronnie »

Just to update, the wifi connection dropped again, and i had to manually disconnect and then reconnect. But while doing so i noticed something else, there was a lag in my system, and nothing else is open other than a file that i am copying to my pendrive. Its a large file of about 9gb. Why i am saying this is because for all these while everything seemed fine, just after i started copying the file wifi became erratic, and my computer overall went slow. The interesting part is when i first nioticed this problem the other day, then too i was copying a file to my pendrive, a similar sized file.Is there a possibility of the two being linked in some way.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Re:Connecting To WIFI On HP Computer

Post by JoeFootball »

shom_ronnie wrote:... other than a file that i am copying to my pendrive. Its a large file of about 9gb. ... Is there a possibility of the two being linked in some way.
If you're doing the copying of such a large file via a file manager like Nemo, it could be. Recommend using the command line cp, or the lightweight GUI xfe, for copying files that large, especially to/from external devices.

Joe
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

ok, but this is a bug dont you think and needs to be fixed. Copying files is an essential part of computing right, and a bug of this nature can be frustrating. Anyways i will mark this thread as solved, because wifi isnt the issue anymore, its copying files so.
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

As i have been monitoring without any copy on in the background, it seems like copy isnt causing the issue. Its like the wifi actually looks connected, but in reality its not. Web pages dont open up, it keeps buffering and then after a while the page opens with full speed. Its like a dropping internet connection, only thing is my internet works fine on all other devices. Its just my wifi on this laptop that seems to be the prob. Any ideas whats need to be done. Pls help, really need to get this solved
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Ok there are a couple other possibilities. 1. if you installed with secure boot activated. It may interfere with the wireless card some have reported that with your card if you do have secure boot turned on then the card will not work at all or may work partially and be unreliable. so check that first.
2. Also some have reported that your particular card bluetooth interferes with wifi functionality and can cause the problems your experiences. I have no way of checking out ether one of these since I have no machine with that particular card installed. But it may be worth checking out.
3. Also some cards not sure yours is one of them have two antenna ports available but only use one connection. If that is the case switching to the other antenna connection may work.

Return to “Networking”