[Solved] Can't log in to wifi network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintmintyy

[Solved] Can't log in to wifi network

Post by mintmintyy »

Hello! I'm new here, but I've been using linux for a couple of years. I just bought a new Clevo laptop and I can't log in to my usual home wifi network after installing Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3, 64-bit.

The computer recognises that the wireless network exists and it asks for the password, but when I enter the password (which is right, I checked that several times), it loads for a while, but doesn't connect to it, the connection window just appears again.

I did some testing and the network works on the same Clevo computer if I boot on a USB with Ubuntu.
It also works with the exact same Mint configuration on another computer.
And my new Clevo computer logs in to other networks without any problem with Linux.

Below is some info on the configuration of the hardware I'm using:
Intel i3-7100U,
Memory 4Go,
Wifi card: M.2 Wifi AC Dual-Band 2,4 & 5Ghz 433Mbit/s WLAN+Bluetooth 4.0 M.2 Card

Can anyone please help? I don't know if I should include more information.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Can't log in to wifi network

Post by killer de bug »

Can you update the kernel to a much newer version?
Maybe with an ethernet cable? I fear this version of the kernel is simply too old for your wifi chipset.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

try restarting network manager

Code: Select all

sudo service network-manager stop
sudo service network-manager start
also unplug your router for about 20 seconds
mintmintyy

Post by mintmintyy »

killer de bug wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm Can you update the kernel to a much newer version?
Maybe with an ethernet cable? I fear this version of the kernel is simply too old for your wifi chipset.
Thanks for your reply. The kernel I have at the moment is 4.13.0-45, it's the best update Linux let me do. But if that was the problem, wouldn't it be a problem for all wifi networks? I can connect to my neighbour's wifi fine...... that's not a solution :lol: but it shows the computer can deal with wifi networks, just not mine...
trytip wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:32 pm try restarting network manager

Code: Select all

sudo service network-manager stop
sudo service network-manager start
also unplug your router for about 20 seconds
Thanks! I tried both your suggestions and they didn't change anything, though restarting the network made the system crash...would that mean anything?

I don't know where to look for a problem because
a) if the problem was the hardware of my laptop, then I wouldn't have wifi using ubuntu
b) if the problem was the wifi network, I wouldn't be able to use that network on other computers
c) if the problem was the linux version, I wouldn't be able to use other networks on the computer
So I have no idea where to look :?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

too many variables to tell. iwconfig will tell you some connection errors (restarting network with command or by unticking enable networking in tray icon will clear count). could be just a bad password and is saved in connection . right click network tray edit connections and delete the wifi. turn on/off wifi on laptop. have you tried any free hotspots to see if it connects?
mintmintyy

Post by mintmintyy »

Solved by installing Linux Mint Cinnamon 19, Tara (Beta version).
It connected automatically without a problem.

Thanks!

Return to “Networking”