Dell 6400 wireless and Ethernet problems

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Dell 6400 wireless and Ethernet problems

Post by cato40 »

I would appreciate it very much if someone could steer me in the right direction.
I purchades a Dell Inspiron 6400 with XP and Media center; it has a conextant 56K laptop modem,RD02-D110
intel wi-fi 3945 abg card ,and a broadcomm wired ethernet card.
Now the question that I have ,is this is it practical to use a USB wi-fi Dongle to access the net ,or replace the wi-fi and Ethernet card.
thanking you
cato40
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Dell 6400 wireless and Ethernet problems

Post by Flemur »

cato40 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 pmNow the question that I have ,is this is it practical to use a USB wi-fi Dongle to access the net ,or replace the wi-fi and Ethernet card.
USB Wifi dongle - sure! I use a Panda PAU06
https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-P ... B00JDVRCI0
Supposedly "plug and play" for linux, although sometimes I have to restart a network service after booting (takes a few seconds):

Code: Select all

systemctl restart  NetworkManager.service
The main thing to watch out for is having to add a special driver - "realtek" seems to need that more than usual.

Previously I had a Edimax EW-7811Un (I think - that's what it looked like anyway)
https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un ... B003MTTJOY
which, until the most recent kernels, I had to install a custom driver for it - no fun w/o internet!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dell 6400 wireless and Ethernet problems

Post by cato40 »

Hi:
Thanks ,Here in Australia ,I can obtain a 4G USB WiFi Dongle for $A39 from Telstra ,the Govt. Communication Entity.
So that is what I shall try to use; I have installed the Mint 18.3 x32 bit .
cato40

Return to “Networking”