Lost wireless connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fredand44
Level 1
Level 1

Lost wireless connection

Post by fredand44 »

Hello guys!

I got a laptop Compaq 6910p with Sylvia 18.3 (Cinnamon-32)
From time to time when I just close the laptop and open up it a couple of hours later I have lost the wireless connection to my home Wifi.
The list of wireless networks is empty and I can not click the "Rescan for wireless networks" how ever nothing happens.

Do you guys see any solution to this problem?

My only solution is to restart the computer then it is automatically connected to the Wifi again.

Best regards
Fredrik
Sir Charles

Re: Lost wireless connection

Post by Sir Charles »

If your machine goes to sleep/suspension when you close the lid, you could try to create a service for restarting the Network Manager after suspension.

Follow these steps:

1) Open a terminal and run the following command:

Code: Select all

gksudo xed /etc/systemd/system/wifi-resume.service
2) Copy and paste the following content in the file that opens:

[Unit]
Description=Local system resume actions
After=suspend.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/bin/systemctl restart network-manager.service

[Install]
WantedBy=suspend.target
(If your machine goes into hibernation when you close the lid, changesuspend.targettohibernate.target)
Save and close the file.

3) Make the file executable:

sudo chmod +x  /etc/systemd/system/wifi-resume.service
4) Enable the new service:

sudo systemctl enable wifi-resume.service
Reboot your machine.

Hope this helps to resolve the issue.

Good luck!
fredand44
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fredand44 »

Hello!
Thank you for these excellent instructions!
I will now reboot the machine an try it out.

I just mention that after the second step when the file was saved and xed was closed I got:

** (xed:3080): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-position not supported
Is it something I should notice?

Best regards
Fredrik
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

fredand44 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:56 am I just mention that after the second step when the file was saved and xed was closed I got:

** (xed:3080): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-position not supported
Is it something I should notice?
Honestly, it is the first time I come across such a message but I found the following post in another thread in the forums:
JosephM wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm These types of warnings are typical when running Gtk applications as root. It shouldn't be preventing Xed from working but simply warning you that certain functionality isn't. For example, xed-position is the bit of info in the metadata that xed uses for it's "Restore cursor position" functionality. It's just letting you know that it wasn't able to write that part of the metadata so your cursor won't be restored to the same position as it was when you last worked on the file.

You could also just use

SUDO_EDITOR=xed sudoedit /etc/auto.sambashares
That creates a temporary version of the file you can edit as your own user and only overwrites the original once the editor is closed.
But I don't know why you would get this message if you used gksudo xed for editing the file as root. Though there is one poster in that thread saying that he/she is getting the same even when using gksudo.
fredand44
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fredand44 »

Hello Marziano!

Thank's a lot for for your excellent help and instructions, works perfect!

Best regards
Fredrik
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

You are welcome!
I am glad to hear that it worked out for you.

cheers
kreslo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kreslo »

It worked for me too! Thank you so much!

Return to “Networking”