Old Toshiba Satelite - cannot connect to wifi any more

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

Old Toshiba Satelite - cannot connect to wifi any more

Post by SprinterDriver »

Hi.

Have an old laptop that runs LM 18.3 Xfce 32 bit.

Very important information: Until about a couple of months ago, the wi-fi card operated just fine (network password is stored, and the psw is not changed since then)

The wi-fi seems at first (after boot) to operate fine. I can see the name of my router in the list of networks. However, when trying to connect to the router (let the network menu/gui stay open) - it seemingly trying to connect for some fifteen seconds or so, and then it stop trying. That is - the cursor changes from "waiting" to normal arrow, and the name of the router disappear from the list.

I have tried searching the forum, but the only seemingly relevant thread is this one "viewtopic.php?f=53&t=255338&p=1376198&h ... G#p1376198" - but that solves nothing to me.
I have connected the laptop using a cable, and it is updated as today.)

Code: Select all

sprinterdriver@tiger-pc /media/geir/MULTIBOOT/Mint wifi $ inxi -Nn
Network:   Card-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection
           driver: ipw2200
           IF: wlp1s5 state: dormant mac: 00:0e:35:88:4f:df
           Card-2: Intel 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller
           driver: e100
           IF: enp1s8 state: down mac: 00:0e:7b:42:ad:27

Appreciate a helping hand here (my wife want to trash her computer because of this issue)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

Update - it suddenly just works again

Post by SprinterDriver »

A small update.
I did an upgrade to the Mint installation some five days ago, when connected by cable.

After the upgrade, the wi-fi was still not functioning even after a reboot.
So for a couple of days (while discussing to just buy another laptop) we laid the cable over the floor at daytime and removed it at evening (because there is a door that must stay open that let cold air into the living room) :x

Yesturday - my wife turn the computer on and did something online, and I noticed she asked me about something specific about the contents of a web site. Just about then - I realized the cable wasn't there :o

Nice thing : Now we don't need to buy another laptop just to get wi-fi :D
Not so nice: I'm confused, I likke to know the reasons why things don't work :?
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.

Return to “Networking”