How to gett/install Epson L310 driver

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whazzupdoc

How to gett/install Epson L310 driver

Post by whazzupdoc »

Realy new! I need to link my Toshiba C655 notebook thru TP-Link C20 router to my Epson L310 inkjet printer/scanner. We want all our devices to be LAN connected. No CUPS setup...just a Mom/Pop setup. The way I understand it, this notebook must have the correct printer driver installed so Cinnamon 18.3 can be recognized by Epson. Can I get some good use-able help? I'm 79 and the wife is 77.
Thanks!
Doc
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
whazzupdoc

Re: How to gett/install Epson L310 driver

Post by whazzupdoc »

I should have added that both desktops (Win7 x64) work with the Epson L310 Printer via WiFi. I believe I'll have to consider going into Networking in Windows and making sure every device is automatically assigned its' own IP Address. Thanks for any good advice on this!
Doc
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The only information I can find on the L310 model is that it is a single function device i.e. no scanner. The Epson Download Centre can provide you with a driver for the printer only.

Go to this site: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX
and type L310 into the Product Name box, then press Enter.

Click on the Download button next to ESC/P Driver (full feature) and then click on Accept on the next screen.

The file you want to download is epson-inkjet-printer-201401w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb and you can install that file by double clicking on it. You mentioned that you are using 64 bit operating system so that is the correct driver.

If you wish, you can also download the printer utility which may indicate your ink levels.

As to using Wi-Fi, Epson has no driver available for this feature.

It sometimes happens that models shipped to some countries have features added or missing but I cannot verify if this is the case for the L310. Its fame comes from the absence of cartridges and its use of ink tanks instead.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

what you have to do, is to give that Epson the WiFi code for the Routers WiFi .. ..
& then install the Epson as a Normal Printer Installation, but selecting the correct URL for the Epson:
- the Setup Wizard should do all that bit, for you, auto-magicaly . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

I'm very sorry but apparently my shaky fingers hit a 3 instead of a 2. This printer is an Epson L210...not an L310. I found the driver for the L210 which is 201207w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb. I downloaded it along with the separate driver for the scanner. I was told it successfully downloaded. However when I checked the printer folder there is no printer selected...not even an Epson choice.

As I'm writing this I realize I'm sounding foolish. I am missing a step and I've got huge gaps in my comprehension...either with the TP-Link C20 Router, or with Epson itself and my networking choices in Windows. Originally this little home office was a Win7 printer setup. You see, the printer is working between my 2 desktops and I had so much trouble just in getting that to work. Now what concerns me is that I may need to once again uninstall the printer and reinstall it to choose some sort of automatic networking option. How far off am I?...please help with the a-b-c's, I won't always be this dense I promise! :oops:

Doc
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The downloaded files will be in the Downloads folder in your Home directory. Locate the printer driver and install with a double click on that file.

Locate the scanner bundle, right click on it and select "Extract Here" from the drop down menu. That will unpack the bundle and create a folder called iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb
Open the folder and read the included README.rst file for detailed instruction for installing the contents of the scanner bundle.

I recommend that you get your L210 working via USB connection before the next step of configuring Wi-Fi.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so whazzupdoc: we would all like to help you; you have two skilful guides in pierre and kyphi;

as your router is already talking to the printer; because you say it works on windows; that is good;

as kyphi says, you just have to "light the fire" under the package of the epson-inkjet-printer-201207w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb that you downloaded; ..

If you go to the top-left of your desktop; the screen you get when you first boot the computer, there should be an icon saying whazzupdoc's home or something similar;

(I set up my system up so a single click does things, but if you are still with double-click, then do that on the icon for whazzupdoc's home and when it opens there should be a folder called Downloads;

if you again double-click to open that, you should see your epson-inkjet-printer-201207w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb sitting there;

as kyphi says, double-click as though you were going to open it; as it is a debian package; full of goodies; then a dialogue box will jump in and say to you "Do you want to open this with gdebi installer?" ..... sort of like the magic geni when you rub the magic lamp in Aladdin's tales!! ..... say yes to it ...... it will ask you for your sudo password ...... enter that and the driver should get installed.

At this stage if I say you usually need two steps to get a printer going;

1) install the drivers then
2) REGISTER THE PRINTER ..... that means tell the admin system on Mint (called lpadmin) to allocate in its memory the driver installed; to the correct printer;

.... that second bit may well be done automatically by Mint when you do the driver install above.

To see if that happened, go to the PRINTERS folder; (on our Mint, I would start bottom left at Menu;

then go to ADMINISTRATION then go to PRINTERS; double-click to open that; and see if there is an icon for the L210; if there is, best check it is the right one ........ how to do that? Well ..... right-click on that Epson icon; (if there is one); look in the MAKE & MODEL line and see if it says something like
epson-inkjet-printer-201207w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2[/color]
If it isn't there, then if I suggest how you might do that ..

in that PRINTERS box, is a button top-left that says ADD; click on that; give it a while as it hunts around to see what it can find; if the router is already talking to the printer, after a bit of time it should see the Epson and say to you "Is this the one you mean?" ..... if it seems like it is, click on the yes buttons and it should set it up for you

lots of words here ........ let's see how it goes
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Hi...sorry but nothing in the Downloads. I checked the downloads in the little 'books' icon and it says that this download has either been moved or is missing. I've had so much trouble with this driver from Epson. I'll go to the Epson site again, find the driver and try to do the download again.

Really good step by step instructions...the kind that I need. I appreciate the help!
Doc
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

O.K., I managed to re-download the driver and have it recognized in the Downloads. I followed the instructions and went to Printers and there is nothing there...only several 'Internet Printing Protocols...Windows Printer via Samba.

At this point is it necessary to uninstall the L210 and reinstall via Windows? And what exactly do I need to allow/direct during the reinstall? I'm sure I'll want it to do its' own detection (via the router), but once again, I don't have any experience.
Doc
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

So you have downloaded "epson-inkjet-printer-201207w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb" and it is in your Downloads folder (I don't understand what you mean by "have it recognized"). Double click on that file to install it.

Connect your computer to the printer using a USB cable and power the printer ON. Reboot. It should now be listed in System Settings, Printers? Can you now print?

Connecting the printer via Wi-Fi is a bit more complicated and I have outlined how to do this here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289&p=1187973&h ... i#p1187973
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Hi, the Package Installer keeps telling me the same version is already installed. So, I unplugged the cable from the Toshiba notebook to the Archer C20 Router and ran the cable directly to the Toshiba from the L210. It recognized the printer and printed a test page. So...I replugged the cable to the Router and the printer state is stopped, unplugged or turned off! So I'm in a fix. The printer only has one port...either to the router for the desktops, or to the Toshiba. Where do I go from here?

Great advice by the way! You guys are the best!
Doc
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

So now the printer works via USB - is that called getting to first base?

I suggest that the scanner comes next. If you have not already done so, download the scanner bundle for Linux Mint 64 bit from the Epson Download Centre (http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX) called iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz
The suffix tar.gz means that it is an archive (tar) and compressed (gz).
Right click on the downloaded bundle and select "Extract Here" from the right click drop-down menu. That will unpack the bundle and create a folder called iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb
Open the folder and read the included README.rst file for detailed instructions for installing the contents of the scanner bundle.

If the instructions in the README.rst file are too confusing, you might find it easier to use the following method to install the necessary files:
1. In the unpacked bundle are 3 folders "core", "data" and "plugins".
2. click on "data" to see "iscan-data_1.39.0-1_all.deb". Install with a double click on the file. This file must be installed first.
3. click on "core" to see "iscan_2.30.3-1_amd64.deb". Install with a double click on the file.
4. click on "plugins" to see "iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1.amd64.deb". Install with a double click on the file. That is the file you will need for the Wi-Fi connection later.

Once all these files are installed, using a USB connection, test your scanner. A scanning application called "Simple Scan" is installed in Linux Mint.

If all goes well, the next step will be to guide you through the last stage to enable Wi-Fi.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Great tutorial, Kyphi!...for me. I took it step-by-step and everything installed. Only problem was when I tried the simple scan, the little dots circled and circled but then came the message that it Failed to Scan...unable to connect to scanner. The printer is usb connected...no router involved. Did I do something wrong?
Doc
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The possibilities are:
1. a fault in the download of the Scanner Bundle
2. a fault in the installation of the components

When the scanner bundle was installed it should also have installed the Epson scanning application called "Image Scan! for Linux". It will be in your main menu under Graphics. Does that one work?

Try this again:
Download the Scanner Bundle from here: http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan ... sion=1.0.4
Select the 64bit(amd64) entry for Linux Mint and click on Download.

This time we will use the Epson method. Open a terminal window and copy and paste the following lines one by one, punctuated by pressing Enter.

cd Downloads
tar xaf iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz
cd iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb
./install.sh

You will be asked for your login password prior to installation.

The first command changes directory to Downloads.
The second command unpacks and uncompresses the downloaded file.
The third command changes directory to the unpacked file.
The fourth command installs the contents of the unpacked file.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

After changing the folder to Downloads I entered the command line but was told the iscan bundle cannot open...no such file or directory. When I look for myself, the bundle is listed with the Data, Core and Plug-ins but they're empty.
Doc
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

When you download anything it goes by default to your Downloads folder. If it is not there or the folder is empty then you may have accidentally removed it.

Download a fresh copy (it is only 476 kB) from http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan ... sion=1.0.4
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Something is missing. I've downloaded several times. When I go to the Downloads the Epson Printer is there and right under it (on the left) is the iscan bundle but those folders (data, core, plugins) are empty. And of course when I try to do a simple scan, it can't find the scanner. :(
Doc
P.S. I'm hitting the sack and will be gone all day tomorrow. So it's not that this is no longer of interest...it is and I'll get on it come Fri.

Return to “Networking”