Mint 19 - Macbook Pro 2017 (MacBookPro14,3) - WiFi unsupported?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
windowsisdeadtome

Mint 19 - Macbook Pro 2017 (MacBookPro14,3) - WiFi unsupported?

Post by windowsisdeadtome »

Hey Guys,

I just installed Mint 19 as a dual-boot OS on my MBP, but was having problems with the Wifi not connecting... After reading multiple articles and Githubs around Linux support on a MBP, am I right in understanding that for my model (MacBookPro14,3) Wifi is NOT supported?

https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux#wi-fi

Has anyone got WiFi working on the newer version of MBP? I'm very disappointed that WiFi is not usable on these models...

:(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 19 - Macbook Pro 2017 (MacBookPro14,3) - WiFi unsupported?

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

We'll need to get a look at that system. Run the following command from a terminal. If you type, the letter F is a capital.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Post the output back here between code tags (the one to the right of the quote button).
windowsisdeadtome

Ok cool, I can do that, but will have to login, run the command and boot back into MacOS to copy it here.

Will try that in a bit, thanks!
RobertoR

Post by RobertoR »

I have read tutorials about macbooks with linux installed, they all ended in buying a external usb wifi adapter for wifi connections.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

If all else fails, connect a USB WiFi Adapter and off you go.
TP-Link TL-WN722N WiFi 150MBPs High-Gain USB Adapters work fine on Linux, and cost around $15.00 on Amazon.
Also, the FayTun USB Wifi Adapter AC1200 Dual-Band 2.4_5GHz ac_a_b_g_n High-Gain also works after compiling the drivers with your existing kernel, but after upgrading the kernel, you may have to recompile again (yada yada yada).
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
kendon

Post by kendon »

Here is a tutorial how to modify an Ubuntu ISO to work with the MBP TB, works for LM19 as well. I haven't been able to get the WiFi stable though, with the hex edit it doesn't load the file at all, so probably I am doing it wrong, and with the RX power set to 10dbm it is not stable.

Shame, apart from sound and WiFi it works really well.
windowsisdeadtome

Thanks for all the feedback, I have seen that others are using USB dongles for the connections. :(

I'll give the Ubuntu article a go next week and see how we go.

Return to “Networking”