Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Re: NEES HELP! Unwated user accessing my laptop via WiFi

Post by srq2625 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:30 am

Sorry (but only a little bit) for this OT post....

@phd21

Your posts are almost always informative and always interesting.

The one above raises the bar to a whole new level. Well done and thanks!

RobertoR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RobertoR » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:54 pm

There are many ways they could come in, many times because the user does stupid things.
But if you are on a publicly used network everyone can contact you directly because you are on the same network, thats why those networks are very dangerous.
Those networks are many times used by hackers to sniff on the traffic or vulnerable computers!
A good way to block that is to block with a firewall all incoming traffic from all local networks with a firewall (iptables), or at least only allow it when you ask for it (RELATED). You do not need to connect to a private network, for to connect to a router, but you need to set your own DNS servers in case the router set your dns to a local ip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses
For the software kill switch that many vpn provider provide with their connection software... most software kill switchs do not work very well if it is not based on firewall rules.

Also you need to take care about your IPv6 use because many time people think about the IPv4 when using a firewall but forget the IPv6, that why I always have IPv6 disabled for my internet connection.

Also like more people said, I would do a complete new install after being hacked!

A tip for when you travel a lot, some vpn providers has a option to use port 53 (used normally for dns), and that port is most of the time open on that kind of networks, than you don't need to go first to the login page, that you have many times on that kind of places.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Post by phd21 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi srq2625,

Thank you, and you are welcome...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Wireless”