"Use as Hotspot" no longer working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

"Use as Hotspot" no longer working

Post by m-s-a »

Hello,
I used to use my Linuxmint 18.3 Laptop as hotspot for my iphone and kindle devices.
All of a sudden, (starting a few weeks ago) this is no longer working.

The devices can still see the hotspot, the password prompt still succeeds, but then it takes a long time for the WiFi icon on the iphone to show up.
When it finally does, any kind of network connection that I make on the phone (e.g. browse to some website) times out.
Kindle has the same kind off issue - password accepted but then no connection can be established.

How do I start troubleshooting this?

Thank you in advance!
Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
doug619

Re: "Use as Hotspot" no longer working

Post by doug619 »

Were you able to solve this? I am having issues that may be similar.

I used to successfully use my Linux Mint 18.x laptop as a hotspot (Internet connection via EasyTether USB tethering). I recently built a new installation of LM 19 and can no longer connect to the hotspot that I enable with the "Use as Hotspot" button in Network Settings. The hotspot created has a different password than what it used to be and I have entered that new password when trying to connect.

I have noticed that the security type is WEP which is different from WPA/WPA2 previously, but don't see a way to change it which may be the cause of my inability to connect to the hotspot and I would very much like to do for security reasons.

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions?

Doug
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by m-s-a »

No, not really. All of a sudden it started working again, like nothing ever happened.
Then a few months later, it stopped again... Now I'm waiting for it to just flip back again to working without problems :-(
Not exactly a scientifically sound approach, I'm afraid...
doug619

Post by doug619 »

doug619 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 pm Were you able to solve this? I am having issues that may be similar.

I used to successfully use my Linux Mint 18.x laptop as a hotspot (Internet connection via EasyTether USB tethering). I recently built a new installation of LM 19 and can no longer connect to the hotspot that I enable with the "Use as Hotspot" button in Network Settings. The hotspot created has a different password than what it used to be and I have entered that new password when trying to connect.

I have noticed that the security type is WEP which is different from WPA/WPA2 previously, but don't see a way to change it which may be the cause of my inability to connect to the hotspot and I would very much like to do for security reasons.

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions?

Doug
Does anyone know why the security type (when using my LM 19 laptop as a hotspot) is defaulting to WEP? Is there a way to change it to WPA/WPA2?

Doug
gm10

Post by gm10 »

doug619 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 pm Does anyone know why the security type (when using my LM 19 laptop as a hotspot) is defaulting to WEP? Is there a way to change it to WPA/WPA2?
See the Wi-Fi Security tab in the connection's settings.
doug619

Post by doug619 »

Thanks for that suggestion. Only seems to offer WEP though, no option for WPA/WPA2.

Doug
gm10

Post by gm10 »

doug619 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:27 pm Thanks for that suggestion. Only seems to offer WEP though, no option for WPA/WPA2.
Should look like this in LM19.x:
nm-wpa.png
doug619

Post by doug619 »

On my LM19 I only see the first two WEP options.

Doug
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Probably a driver/firmware issue with your specific hardware then, try with a different wireless device if you can.
doug619

Post by doug619 »

Thanks. I'll probably try upgrading to LM 19.1. This was a fresh install of LM 19 on 13Dec2018. A software upgrade on 2Feb2019 included Linux kernel 4.15.0.45.47.

Doug
gm10

Post by gm10 »

The upgrade from 19 to 19.1 won't affect this, but you can try a 4.18-series kernel from Update Manager > View > Linux kernels.
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by m-s-a »

m-s-a wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:11 am No, not really. All of a sudden it started working again, like nothing ever happened.
Then a few months later, it stopped again... Now I'm waiting for it to just flip back again to working without problems :-(
Not exactly a scientifically sound approach, I'm afraid...
I just found a potential fix for my original problem: I went into "Network Connections" and deleted the entry for the hotspot. Then I clicked the "Use as hotspot..." button under "Network settings" again, which created a new Hotspot with a new password. This new one is working without issues...
TGPB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TGPB »

I'm running 19.2 mate and EasyTether Pro with success. I want to hotspot my computer to share this connection. I looked in network connections and don't see a hotspot option.
Cinnamon Mint 21
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by m-s-a »

You will probably get more helpful replies faster if you start your own post rather than adding to a really old one like this that was about something else...
hd66
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hd66 »

hey guys

I dont know if Im in the right section, with my little laptop I cant set up wifi hotspot as I want, only wep is allowed. I can change it on the parameters, but when I turn it back on, it automatically creates a new one with wep profile. Means it's impossible to create with that laptop an hotspot using wifi card and wpa instead of wep.

like this :
viewtopic.php?t=274984

my lsusb -vv :
https://www.3hg.fr/CHATONS/Pastebin/?84 ... gG9uvjoz5X

pls help!
m-s-a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by m-s-a »

Sounds like you are in the right section, but you should open your own post rather than using existing ones that are unrelated...
hd66
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hd66 »

m-s-a wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:25 pm Sounds like you are in the right section, but you should open your own post rather than using existing ones that are unrelated...
viewtopic.php?f=249&t=372847

:)

Return to “Networking”