WiFi access to the Internet ??

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Newbie Bob

WiFi access to the Internet ??

Post by Newbie Bob »

When LMM 19 was first installed from CD wireless access worked. But it don't no more !! As a long-time Win user it is disappointing not to be able to determine what wireless networks are avail to choose from or if connection has been made successfully without attempting to access something on the Internet . I'm a "newbie" to Linux so am not yet familiar with any networking cmds which may help. What can i do (other than re-install LMM) since downloads need Net access ? Thanx.

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: WiFi access to the Internet ??

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Bob.

In order to be able to give a meaningful reply to your problem, we need some technical details about your system.
Please, open a terminal window. Execute the commandline

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
exactly as it has been typed here. Mark the complete screen output, which inxi will display, and paste it into your next reply.
This will give us a concise overview on your hardware, including your wifi interface.

About the network icon in the systray, which you know from Windows:
A very similar icon will be visible in the right hand corner of the bottom panel.
It will be visible, provided your wifi interface is enabled.
If you click on it, Mint should inspect your wifi neighbourhood and after a while display all WLAN routers which it has detected.
Here on my system, the wifi icon in the bottom panel looks like this: Image
On another system, the wifi icon in the bottom panel looks like this: Image

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Networking”