Anyone willing to test RTL8821ae module parameters?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Neil Darlow

Anyone willing to test RTL8821ae module parameters?

Post by Neil Darlow »

Hi All,

I have recently built a new desktop PC with a Wircard Dual Band Wireless+Bluetooth PCIe RTL8821ae network adapter. Initially I had this running somewhat reliably using a mix of motherboard settings and Linux kernel command line parameters but wanted to find something a bit more card-specific.

Unfortunately, I don't have any 5GHz networking equipment yet (the machine was built to allow for future upgrades to my network infrastructure) but it appears to be working very reliably with my 2.4GHz equipment.

I am currently using the stock 4.15.0-30-generic #32 kernel and rtl8821ae module. No other modifications to kernel command line or /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d files have been made.

The requirement is for an /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ae.conf file with the following contents:

Code: Select all

options rtl8821ae aspm=0 ips=0 msi=0 swenc=1
Note that these options disable all card power-saving so are best applied to desktop systems. It may be possible to remove some of them for laptops based on additional experimentation.

In testing I have played many hours of YouTube video, performed speed tests etc. without receiving any disconnects or reports of transmit/receive errors or dropped packets on the wireless interface. Operating speed is equivalent to other 802.11g cards I have working in the same location so there's no speed degradation either.

ATB,
Neil Darlow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”